Hits Are for Squares is a compilation album by Sonic Youth. It was released in 2008 on Starbucks Music.
The album contains 16 tracks. The first 15 songs were selected by other artists and the 16th is an exclusive new recording by Sonic Youth.
Hits Are for Squares was initially only released in America. It received a limited international release on vinyl for Record Store Day 2010.
- "Bull in the Heather" (selected by Catherine Keener, actress) (from Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star)
- "100%" (selected by Mike D, of Beastie Boys) (from Dirty)
- "Sugar Kane" (selected by Beck) (from Dirty)
- "Kool Thing" (selected by Radiohead) (from Goo)
- "Disappearer" (selected by Portia de Rossi, actress) (from Goo)
- "Superstar" (selected by Diablo Cody, screenwriter) (from If I Were A Carpenter)
- "Stones" (selected by Allison Anders, film director) (from Sonic Nurse)
- "Tuff Gnarl" (selected by Dave Eggers, writer and Mike Watt, bassist) (from Sister)
- "Teen Age Riot" (selected by Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam's vocalist) (from Daydream Nation)
- "Shadow of a Doubt" (selected by Michelle Williams, actress) (from EVOL)
- "Rain on Tin" (selected by Flea, Red Hot Chili Peppers's bassist) (from Murray Street)
- "Tom Violence" (selected by Gus Van Sant, film director) (from EVOL)
- "Mary-Christ" (selected by David Cross, comedian) (from Goo)
- "The World Looks Red" (selected by Chloë Sevigny, actress) (from Confusion is Sex)
- "Expressway To Yr Skull" (selected by The Flaming Lips) (from EVOL)
- "Slow Revolution" (exclusive new Sonic Youth recording)