Hive (record producer)
|Origin||San Francisco, United States of America|
|Genres||Drum and bass|
|Occupations||DJ, Record Producer, Label Owner|
|Associated acts||Gridlok, Echo, Keaton, Dom & Roland, The Upbeats, Technical Itch, Calyx, Teebee|
Hive is the stage name of Michael Petrie (born December 1974), a San Francisco-based DJ, producer, and record label owner who has contributed to dozens of recordings in the drum and bass musical genre. He owns the label Violence Recordings.
DJ Hive, along with Alien Nation (Orion South and Phoenix Orion) and Daddy Kev, was an integral part in the formation of Celestial Recordings. Some notable Celestial Recordings releases that Hive was a part of include Phoenix Orion's Zimulated Experiencez and the compilation Celestial Squadron. Hive's seminal solo release Hip-Hop 2023, which infused drum and bass with hip-hop, was also released on Celestial.
- Working With Sound (1997)
- Devious Methods (1998)
- The Raw Uncut (2001)
- Hip-Hop 2023 (2001)
- Bedlam (2002)
- Welcome to Violence (compilation) (2005)
- Salvation (compilation) (2010)
In popular culture
Although not as famous as some DJs, Hive's mixes have been used throughout popular media. His most noteworthy track is entitled "Ultrasonic Sound" which heavily samples the song "Re-Ignition" by the hardcore punk group Bad Brains. This track has been used in a number of places:
- The sci-fi feature film The Matrix features the song in its soundtrack.
- The television network Fox frequently played the track during Sunday football games when airing their description of the following week's football line-up.
- The website Newgrounds' housed a classic game, Pico, which used the track as its main theme and background music.
- "Hive". Retrieved 2008-01-15.