Hoàng Tụy received his PhD in mathematics from Moscow State University in 1959. He has worked mainly and did pioneering work in the field of global optimization. He has published more than 160 referred journal and conference articles. He presently is with the Institute of Mathematics of the Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology, where he was director from 1980 to 1989.
In December 2007, an international conference on Nonconvex Programming was held in Rouen, France, to pay tribute to him on the occasion of his 80th birthday, in recognition of his pioneering achievements which considerably affected the field of global optimization.
In September 2011, Professor Hoang Tuy has been named as the first ever recipient of the Constantin Carathéodory Prize of the International Society of Global Optimization for his pioneering work and fundamental contributions to global optimization.
Publications in Math-Net.Ru
- Conical algorithms for solving a concave programming problem and some generalizations S. L. Utkin, V. R. Khachaturov, Hoàng Tụy Zh. Vychisl. Mat. Mat. Fiz., 28:7 (1988), 992–999
- Solving the linear complementarity problem through concave programming Nguyen Van Thoai, Hoang Tuy Zh. Vychisl. Mat. Mat. Fiz., 23:3 (1983), 602–608
- Almost affine functions Hoàng Tụy Mat. Zametki, 9:4 (1971), 435–440
- The structure of measurable functions. II Hoàng Tụy Mat. Sb. (N.S.), 54(96):2 (1961), 177–208
- On the structure of measurable functions. I Hoàng Tụy Mat. Sb. (N.S.), 53(95):4 (1961), 429–488
- The “universal primitive” of J. Markusiewicz Hoàng Tụy Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Ser. Mat., 24:4 (1960), 617–628
His son, Hoang Duong Tuan, is now a Full Professor at the University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, where he is working on the applications of optimization in various engineering fields. His son-in-law, Phan Thien Thach, works also on Optimization.
- Neal Koblitz Random Curves: Journeys of a Mathematician 2007 Page 188 "We heard that General Giáp had called in the Math Institute director, Hoàng Tụy, and had commented to him about this."
- Website http://ncp07.insa-rouen.fr/
- Website http://www.vietnamica.net/isgo-awards-constantin-caratheodory-prize-to-hoang-tuy/
- An interview in the Optimization Research Bridge newsletter, with tributes from Taketomo Mitsui and Hiroshi Konno.
- Homepage at the Institute of Mathematics