Hobbico, Inc. (Hobby Corporation of America) is located in Champaign, Illinois and is a manufacturer and distributor of hobby products including radio control airplanes, boats, cars and helicopters. Other products include plastic model kits, model rockets, model trains, slot cars, crafts, jigsaw puzzles and games. The company has approximately 650 employees.
The company distributes about 30 brands of hobby products including several proprietary product brands. Proprietary brands include: Revell, Monogram, Top Flite, Great Planes, AquaCraft Models, FlightPower (North America), Heli-Max, SuperTigre, O'Donnell, DuraTrax, RealFlight, MonoKote, Carl Goldberg Products, ElectriFly, Coverite, Dynaflite, Fuji-Imvac, FlyZone, Team Checkpoint, MuchMore Racing, VS Tank, Estes Industries and others. It is the exclusive distributor for Futaba radio control products in North and South America, for O.S. Engines in North America and Thunder Tiger in North and South America.
- In 1971 Tower Hobbies was founded by Bruce Holecek.
- In 1972 Great Planes Model Distributors was founded by Don Anderson.
- Hobbico was started in 1985 when Tower Hobbies was combined with Great Planes Model Distributors to form Hobbico, Inc.
- In November 2005 the company became a 100% employee-owned ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan).
- In May 2007 Hobbico acquired Revell-Monogram, famous maker of Revell plastic model kits.
- In January 2010 Hobbico acquired model rocket maker Estes Industries.
- In September 2010 Hobbico was appointed exclusive distributor for Thunder Tiger in North and South America.
- "Hobbico's Employee Stock Ownership Plan Purchases Distributor" Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette - November 2005
- "Hobbico Purchases Revell-Monogram" Champaign-Urbana News Gazette - May 2007
- "Hobbico acquires model rocket maker Estes-Cox" Champaign-Urbana News Gazette - January 2010
- "Thunder Tiger appoints Hobbico/Great Planes as exclusive distributor for the Americas" Fly RC - September 2010