Hockeytown and Hockey Town are generic words used in common practice throughout the United States and Canada to identify any town, city or community that has a history and reputation of participating in the sport of hockey. Many North American cities are and have been referred to by the label. Warroad, Minnesota was the first city known to use the designation "Hockeytown." The term refers to the following cities:
- Binghamton, New York has been referred to as Hockeytown since the mid-1970s. After a tepid first year of support, the Broome Dusters grew greatly in popularity, and were able to draw a large number of sellouts. The quick success led the Hockey News to declare Binghamton as Hockeytown USA. Binghamton is home to an American Hockey League.
- Detroit, Michigan – The city's professional hockey team, the NHL's Detroit Red Wings, the phrase when combined with their distinctive wheel and wing logo is a registered trademark owned by the franchise.
- Montreal, Quebec – The phrase "hockey town" has been applied to Montreal, Quebec. Montreal has been described as the "Best Hockey City in North America."
- Warroad, Minnesota, has been referred to as "Hockeytown" for over 50 years. The "Hockeytown" Holiday Classic has been played in Warroad, Minnesota since 1994.
The phrase "hockey town" has also been applied to Boston, Massachusetts, Buffalo, New York, Chicago, Illinois, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Saint Paul, Minnesota, and Sarpsborg, Norway.
- 2008 Inductee Jim Matthews - Bobby Orr Hall of Fame, Parry Sound, Ontario
- Fee, Kevin. "Detroit Snatches 'Hockeytown ' name from Warroad, Minn.". Knight Ridder/ Tribune Business news. Retrieved May 10, 1999.
- "Sports Magazine | Toronto Sports Magazine | Online Sports Magazine Canada | TORO Online Magazine". Toromagazine.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "NHL: 10 Best Hockey Cities in North America". Bleacher Report. 2011-11-22. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Kurtt, Kevin. "Would the real Hockeytown USA please stand up? please". Web article. letsplayhockey.com. Retrieved 2011-03-22.
- Tribune, Star, "Hockey Hub MN Boys High School Hockey 2011-2012 Tournaments 18th Annual "Hockeytown" Holiday Classic (Dec.28-30), Warroad.", Web article official schedule (MNhockeyhub.com), retrieved 2012-09-21
- "Boston Bruins: Can Hockey Supplant Sox, Celtics and Patriots in Fans' Hearts?". Bleacher Report. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- New Hockeytown, USA
- Sherman, Ed. "Hockey town Chicago: Blackhawks set another record; peak rating higher than Pro Bowl". The Sherman Report. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Velkommen til Hockytown (in Norwegian)