Hocus Pocus (group)
|Genres||Hip-Hop, Jazz, Soul, Funk|
|Years active||1995 – Present|
|Labels||On and On Records|
|Associated acts||C2C (aka Coups 2 Cross)|
David Le Deunff
Hocus Pocus is a Hip Hop / Jazz band from Nantes, France. Formed in 1995, their music is a mix of hip-hop, jazz, soul and funk. Originally being 20syl's brainchild, Hocus Pocus was formed in 1995, and gradually gained attention in the late '90s. The band, however, reached significant commercial and critical success in 2006 with the 2005 LP 73 Touches re-release, the "Hip Hop?" single (featuring the Procussions) having hooked many listeners who were curious about its blend of French, English, and acoustic/electronic elements. Though quite far removed from legendary bands evolving in that same category (like the Roots), Hocus Pocus' more radio-friendly recipe happened to be very effective. The band came back in 2007 with a mixed live/studio LP, Place 54, featuring more international collaborations and another hit single, "Vocab!".
20Syl, the MC of the band has also worked on his individual projects including release of a solo EP Motifs. His collaboration with Oddisee resulted in a charting single "Ongoing Thing".
- Matthieu Lelièvre - Guitar
- Hervé Godard - Bass
- Antoine Saint-Jean - Drums
- DJ Greem - DJ
Earlier members included Cambia, Yves-Dominique Richard and Yannick Busi.
|2002||Acoustic Hip Hop Quintet||–||–||–|
- On and On Maxi Single (October 2001)
- Conscient Maxi Single (January 2003)
- On and On - Part 2 Maxi Single (December 2004)
(feat. Akhenaton & Ben l'Oncle Soul
|2015||Motifs II (EP)||113|
Notes and references
- "Hocus Pocus discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "20Syl discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hocus Pocus (group).|
- Official Site of On and On Records
- Interview: 20syl (of Hocus Pocus) | The Find Magazine
- Hocus Pocus on Last.fm