Hoeft State Park
|P. H. Hoeft State Park|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
Beach at Hoeft State Park
|Location||Rogers Township, Presque Isle County, Michigan, USA|
|Nearest city||Rogers City, Michigan|
|Area||301 acres (121.8 ha)|
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
P.H. Hoeft State Park
|Location||5001 U.S. 23 North
Rogers Township, Michigan
|NRHP Reference #||09001065|
|Added to NRHP||December 8, 2009|
P. H. Hoeft State Park is located 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Rogers City, Michigan, on US 23 in Presque Isle County. Donated on January 2, 1922 by lumber baron Paul H. Hoeft, the heavily wooded park sits on 1 mile (1.6 km) of Lake Huron shoreline and offers 143 campsites along with 4 miles (6.4 km) of hiking trails, hunting, playgrounds, a picnic pavilion and a lodge. The Huron Sunrise Trail bicycle path connects the park to Rogers City and the 40 Mile Lighthouse county park.
The pavilion is situated just off of the beach and was erected in the late 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. With its open beam construction, split rock foundation, large floor, fireplace and separate changing rooms this pavilion offers facilities for a family picnic or family reunion.
The Park Ranger cabin originally purchased from a Sears and Roebuck catalog in 1929 was the home of the park caretaker until its retirement in 2006. It has since been reopened as a year-round lodge that sleeps eight people and offers modern amenities such as electricity, bathrooms and a kitchen.
Facilities and activities
- Cross-country skiing: The park offers 4.5 miles (7.2 km) of ungroomed trail.
- Fishing: Anglers may try the deep waters of Lake Huron or test their skills on inland creeks and lakes.
- Picnic Area
- Picnic Shelter
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Hoeft State Park - Michigan DNR
- Map of Hoeft State Park - Michigan DNR
- Protected Planet (World Database on Protected Areas) - Hoeft State Park