Hoke County, North Carolina
|Hoke County, North Carolina|
Hoke County Courthouse in Raeford
Location in the state of North Carolina
North Carolina's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Robert F. Hoke|
|• Total||392 sq mi (1,015 km2)|
|• Land||391 sq mi (1,013 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4 km2), 0.4%|
|• Density||132/sq mi (51/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Law and government
Hoke County is a member of the regional Lumber River Council of Governments.
- Moore County - northwest
- Cumberland County - east
- Robeson County - south
- Scotland County - southwest
As of the census of 2010, there were 46,952 people, 11,373 households, and 8,745 families residing in the county. The population density was 86 people per square mile (33/km²). There were 12,518 housing units at an average density of 32 per square mile (12/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 44.53% White, 37.64% Black or African American, 11.45% Native American, 0.83% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 3.27% from other races, and 2.13% from two or more races. 7.18% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
By 2005 42.1% of the population was non-Hispanic whites. 10.1% of the population was Native American. 36.3% of the population was African-Americans. 9.8% of the population was Latino. 1.8% of the population reported more than one race (but it should be remembered that this category excluded Latinos) and 1.0% of the population was Asian.
In 2000 there were 11,373 households out of which 41.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.70% were married couples living together, 18.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.10% were non-families. 19.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the county the population was spread out with 29.80% under the age of 18, 10.70% from 18 to 24, 34.10% from 25 to 44, 17.60% from 45 to 64, and 7.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 102.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,230, and the median income for a family was $36,110. Males had a median income of $27,925 versus $21,184 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,635. About 14.40% of families and 17.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.40% of those under age 18 and 22.00% of those age 65 or over.
- Raeford (county seat)
- Blue Springs
- Fort Bragg Military Reservation
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Heidler, David Stephen; Heidler, Jeanne T.; Coles, David J. (2002). Encyclopedia of the American Civil War: A Political Social and Military History. W.W. Norton. pp. 983–984. ISBN 978-0-393-04758-5. Retrieved 2011-06-23.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Monroe, Joyce C.; Raeford-Hoke Museum (2011). Hoke County. Arcadia Publishing SC. ISBN 978-0-7385-8679-3.
- Raeford/Hoke Chamber of Commerce
- Hoke County's newspaper
- Online News for Raeford and Hoke County
- Hoke County/Raeford website
||Moore County||Moore County|
|Scotland County||Robeson County|