Hold On, I'm A Comin'
|"Hold On, I'm Comin'"|
|Single by Sam & Dave|
|from the album Hold On, I'm Comin'|
|B-side||"I Got Everything I Need"|
|Genre||Soul, rhythm and blues|
|Sam & Dave singles chronology|
"Hold On, I'm Comin'" (officially registered song title with album Hold On, I'm Comin' titled after the song; listed on a Stax release as "Hold On! I'm a Comin'") is a 1966 single recorded by soul duo Sam & Dave, issued on the Atlantic-distributed Stax label in 1966.
The song was written by the songwriting team of Isaac Hayes and David Porter, who came up with the title of the song spontaneously when Hayes was trying to get Porter to hurry out of the Stax Studios restroom and get back to songwriting. Released as Stax 189 in the spring of 1966, the single peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot Black Singles chart, and at number 21 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.
A revamped version of the song, "Hold On, Edwin's Coming", was recorded by Sam & Dave as a promotional single for Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards' third election campaign in 1982. Three years later, Dave Prater teamed with new singing partner Sam Daniels as "The New Sam and Dave Review", and recorded "Medley/Hold On, I'm Comin'" for Atlantic Records.
- Vocals by Sam Moore and Dave Prater
- Instrumentation by Booker T. & the MG's and the Mar-Keys Horns
Cover versions and samples
- In 1967 Brian May recorded this song with the band 1984 at Thames Television in Broom Lane Studios, Teddington, UK
- In 1967 Tom Jones recorded this song on the album 13 Smash Hits
- In 1967 Maxine Brown and Chuck Jackson recorded a cover which reached 20 on the Billboard R&B chart and 91 on the Billboard pop charts.
- Bill Cosby did a humorous interpretation of the song on his 1968 album, Bill Cosby Sings Hooray for the Salvation Army Band!.
- Jazz flautist Herbie Mann recorded the song on his 1969 album, Memphis Underground.
- In August 1979 Precious Wilson of the group Eruption recorded the song which was published by Hansa Records, it also was added to the album Oceans of Fantasy by Boney M.
- The song is played by Jake and Ellwood on their 8-track deck in the Bluesmobile in the 1980 movie The Blues Brothers
- 1981 cover by Aretha Franklin for her album Love All the Hurt Away earned her ninth Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
- Michael Bolton covered the song on his 1992 album Timeless: The Classics.
- Tina Turner sang the song on her 60th birthday special live show in 1999 and it was later included on the limited edition bonus disc of her album Twenty Four Seven. It was also included on the setlist of the first leg of her Twenty Four Seven Tour in 2000.
- B.B. King and Eric Clapton cover the song on their joint album, Riding with the King, released in 2000
- George Benson covers the song on his "Good King Bad" (1976) album.
- Amerie sampled the song on her hit "Gotta Work" (2007).
- The song is featured in the trailer for the 1999 Pixar film Toy Story 2 and the 1996 film First Kid.
- The song is featured on the soundtrack to the 2007 film American Gangster.
- The Temptations covered the song for their 2007 album, Back To Front.
- Samuel L. Jackson and Bernie Mac perform the song in the 2008 film Soul Men.
- The song is featured in the 2009 video game Skate 2 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- The song is featured in the pilot episode of the 2009 series White Collar.
- Casey James performed the song in the ninth season of American Idol.
- Hanson performed the song regularly through their Summer 2010 tour for their newly released album Shout It Out.
- The song is featured on the soundtrack to the 2010 film Due Date.
Hold On, I'm Comin was featured during a scene in the film The Blues Brothers along with the song Soothe Me, also performed by Sam & Dave. It was also heard in a 2013 Super Bowl commercial featuring Dwayne Johnson.