Hold On Tight (Electric Light Orchestra song)
|"Hold on Tight"|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Time|
|B-side||"When Time Stood Still"|
|Released||17 July 1981 (UK)
July 1981 (US)
|Recorded||1981 Musicland Studios, Munich|
|Genre||Electronic rock, rock and roll|
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
"Hold on Tight" is a song written and performed by Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).
The song is track twelve on the band's 1981 album Time and was the first song released as a single. The song went top ten in most countries, hitting the top spot in Switzerland, number two in Germany, number four in the UK, and number ten on the US Billboard Hot 100, as well as number two on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. It is known for having a verse sung in French; translated, the verse is a French-language reprise of the first verse of the song. It also helped launch the roots rock revival of the 1980s.
The previous year, David Bowie had released his "Ashes to Ashes" music video which was considered as the most innovative to date at that time. But ELO were largely regarded to have surpassed that with their music video for "Hold On Tight". At the time it was the most expensive ever made at around £40,000. It was filmed in black-and-white and pays homage to old serial films with ELO playing in the scenes.
Uses in other media
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2010)|
In the mid-1980s, the song was used in The Coffee Achievers television advertisements, which promoted the benefits of drinking coffee. This campaign from the National Coffee Association played in the United States starring celebrities including David Bowie, Heart and ELO. The campaign was later parodied on Saturday Night Live as "The Crack Achievers" in a sketch that also used "Hold on Tight."
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||5|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||4|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||6|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||2|
|Irish Singles Chart||3|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||5|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||10|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||7|
|South African Chart||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||1|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Billboard Top Tracks||2|
|US Cash Box Top 100 Singles||8|
|US Record World Singles||10|
|US Billboard Year-End||81|
|American Top 40 Year-End||75|
- Deborah Frost (10 December 1981). "Electric Light Orchestra - Time". Rolling Stone. RealNetworks, Inc. Retrieved 26 May 2013. "the synthesized rock & roll cellos in "Hold On Tight""
- "1981 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 5th September 1981". Offfical Charts Company. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- UK Midlands Central TV News, August, 1981
- Electric Light Orchestra - Hold On Tight
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, New South Wales: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Hold on tight in Canadian Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Hold On Tight". Charts.de. Media Control.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Enter Electric Light Orchestra in the Search by Artist field, then click Search.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Electric Light Orchestra search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight". VG-lista.
- "South African Rock Lists Website - SA Charts 1969 - 1989 Acts (E)". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight". Singles Top 60.
- "Electric Light Orchestra – Hold On Tight – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Hawtin, Steve. "Song artist 171 - Electric Light Orchestra". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2 May 2013.