|Also called||Holden Standard
Holden Panel Van
|Production||Sedan & Station Sedan: 1962–1963
Utility & Panel Van: 1963
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan
5-door station wagon
2-door coupé utility
2-door panel van
|Engine||138 cu in (2,262 cc) I6|
3-speed "Hydra-Matic" automatic
|Wheelbase||105.0 inches (2667 mm)|
|Length||176.9 inches (4493 mm)|
|Width||68.0 inches (1727 mm)|
|Height||58.0 inches (1473 mm)|
|Curb weight||Standard Sedan: 2492lb (1130 kg)|
The Holden EJ is a motor vehicle that was produced by General Motors-Holden's in Australia from 1962 to 1963. It was also assembled in New Zealand by GMNZ. Introduced in July 1962, the EJ replaced the Holden EK series.
On introduction, the EJ range consisted of four-door sedans in three trim levels and five-door station wagons in two trim levels. A two-door coupe utility and a two-door panel van were added to the range in January 1963. The seven models were marketed as follows:
- Holden Standard Sedan 
- Holden Special Sedan 
- Holden Premier Sedan 
- Holden Standard Station Sedan 
- Holden Special Station Sedan 
- Holden Utility 
- Holden Panel Van 
The styling of the EJ was a radical departure from that of the EK with a lower roofline, a flatter boot and an absence of fins. Improvements were made to the brakes, front suspension and the Hydra-matic automatic transmission.
A new luxury model, the Holden Premier, made its debut in the EJ series and featured leather interior, bucket seats, metallic paint, a heater/demister with centre console and arm rests on all four doors. It was fitted with Hydra-matic 3-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment, this being optional on other EJ series models.
All EJ models were powered by a 138.0 cubic inches (2,262 cc) inline six-cylinder engine, producing 75 brake horsepower (56 kW). Commonly known as the grey motor, it had been in service since the introduction of the original Holden 48/215 model in 1948 and the EJ would be the last Holden to be equipped with this engine.
Production and replacement
- Holden EJ at www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au
- Webster, Mark (2002), Assembly: New Zealand Car Production 1921-98, Birkenhead, Auckland, New Zealand: Reed, p. 80c, ISBN 0-7900-0846-7
- Holden EJ Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Holden EJ sales brochure
- Holden EJ sales brochure 130M of January 1963
- Holden 6 Cylinder Grey Motor Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010.
- Holden EH Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Holden EH Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Norm Darwin, 100 Years of GM in Australia, 2002
- Norm Darwin, The history of Holden since 1917, 1983
- AC Bushby, The Holden collection: a nostalgic look at the first 30 years of Holden cars in Australia, 1988
- A Brief History of the EJ Holden Includes scans of Holden EJ sales brochures and advertisements.
|Holden, a marque of General Motors, automobile timeline, 1948–present|
|List of Holden vehicles
† HQ–WB Statesmans not marketed under the "Holden" brand, but rather the separate "Statesman" brand.