Holden Special Sedan (EJ)
|Also called||Holden Standard
Holden Panel Van
|Production||Sedan & Station Sedan: 1962–1963
Utility & Panel Van: 1963
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan
5-door station wagon
2-door coupé utility
2-door panel van
|Engine||138 cu in (2,262 cc) I6|
3-speed "Hydra-Matic" automatic
|Wheelbase||105.0 inches (2667 mm)|
|Length||176.9 inches (4493 mm)|
|Width||68.0 inches (1727 mm)|
|Height||58.0 inches (1473 mm)|
|Curb weight||Standard Sedan: 2492lb (1130 kg)|
The styling of the EJ was a radical departure from that of the EK with a lower roofline, a flatter boot and an absence of fins. Improvements were made to the brakes, front suspension and the Hydra-matic automatic transmission.
A new luxury model, the Holden Premier, made its debut in the EJ series and featured leather interior, bucket seats, metallic paint, a heater/demister with centre console and arm rests on all four doors. It was fitted with Hydra-matic 3-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment, this being optional on other EJ series models.
On introduction, the EJ range consisted of four-door sedans in three trim levels and five-door station wagons in two trim levels. A two-door coupe utility and a two-door panel van were added to the range in January 1963. The seven models were marketed as follows:
- Holden Standard Sedan 
- Holden Special Sedan 
- Holden Premier Sedan 
- Holden Standard Station Sedan 
- Holden Special Station Sedan 
- Holden Utility 
- Holden Panel Van 
All EJ models were powered by a 138.0 cubic inches (2,262 cc) inline six-cylinder engine, producing 75 brake horsepower (56 kW). Commonly known as the grey motor, it had been in service since the introduction of the original Holden 48/215 model in 1948 and the EJ would be the last Holden to be equipped with this engine.
Production and replacement
- Holden EJ at www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au
- Holden EJ Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Holden EJ sales brochure
- Holden EJ sales brochure 130M of January 1963
- Holden 6 Cylinder Grey Motor Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010.
- Holden EH Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Holden EH Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 24 March 2010
- Webster, Mark (2002), Assembly: New Zealand Car Production 1921-98, Birkenhead, Auckland, New Zealand: Reed, p. 80c, ISBN 0-7900-0846-7
- Norm Darwin, 100 Years of GM in Australia, 2002
- Norm Darwin, The history of Holden since 1917, 1983
- AC Bushby, The Holden collection: a nostalgic look at the first 30 years of Holden cars in Australia, 1988
- A Brief History of the EJ Holden Includes scans of Holden EJ sales brochures and advertisements.
|Holden, a marque of General Motors, automobile timeline, 1948–present|
|List of Holden vehicles
† HQ–WB Statesmans not marketed under the "Holden" brand, but rather the separate "Statesman" brand.