Holly Hill, South Carolina
|Holly Hill, South Carolina|
Location in Orangeburg County, South Carolina
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||105 ft (32 m)|
|• Density||949/sq mi (366.4/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1223233|
Holly Hill is a town in Orangeburg County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,281 at the 2000 census. Prior to 1910 it was located in the northwest portion of Saint James Goose Creek Township, Berkeley County.
Holly Hill is located at (33.3243, -80.4112).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,281 people, 502 households, and 359 families residing in the town. The population density was 950.7 people per square mile (366.4/km²). There were 575 housing units at an average density of 426.7 per square mile (164.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 48.95% White, 50.04% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.08% Asian, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.47% of the population.
There were 502 households out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.6% were married couples living together, 18.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.4% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 23.8% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 79.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,036, and the median income for a family was $43,611. Males had a median income of $36,944 versus $21,346 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,437. About 10.7% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.2% of those under age 18 and 14.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Willie Randolph - former Major League Baseball player and manager
- Brett Gardner - Left Fielder for the New York Yankees
- Eddie Sweat - groom to U. S. Triple Crown winner Secretariat
- Frank Culbertson, Jr. - Former NASA Space Shuttle Astronaut
- Lil' Malik - Rapper
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.