|Studio album by Poison|
|Released||May 21, 2002|
|Recorded||2002 at Henson Recording Studios, Hollywood, California and Rock Central Studios in Sherman Oaks, California|
- For other uses, see Hollyweird (disambiguation)
Hollyweird is the sixth studio album by American hard rock band Poison, released on March 21, 2002 through Cyanide Music and debuted at #103 on The Billboard 200 chart and #8 on the Independent Albums chart.
The record brought together Poison's original line-up for the first full studio project since Flesh & Blood. The result was a combination of old and new sounds, with guitarist C. C. DeVille frequently preferring pop and punk rock sounds to the heavy metal style which had characterized Poison's previous records. The band's new style was particularly evident in the songs "Emperor's New Clothes", "Livin' In the Now" and "Home (C.C's Story)" which featured DeVille on lead vocals.
Production and marketing
In the face of major label offers which would have required the band to re-record old material, the band decided to release the album through their own label, Cyanide Music. Hollyweird was recorded at Henson Recording Studios, in Hollywood, California and Rock Central Studios in Sherman Oaks, California with producer Thom Panunzio.
The album's themes revolve almost exclusively around the trials and tribulations of success in Hollywood, California; a theme which had previously been explored in the band's single "Fallen Angel" from their second album Open Up And Say... Ahh!.
|“||...Actually, that was Rikki’s idea. When we came into rehearsals ... to break the ice for the new record ... before we started fightin’ and arguin’ about songs, we went through a list of covers and remakes. ...It was the song that stuck and I think it fits perfectly for our band. It has a great melody and a great vocal, but it's also kinda sparse and undefined ... it was kinda like an open pallet for us.||”|
"Shooting Star" was also released as a single for the album and was referred to as part 2 to the Fallen Angel single from Open Up And...Say Ahh.
- "Hollyweird" - 3:15
- "Squeeze Box" - 2:32 (Pete Townshend)
- "Shooting Star" - 4:39
- "Wishful Thinkin'" - 2:49
- "Get 'Ya Some" - 4:22
- "Emperor's New Clothes" - 2:15
- "Devil Woman" - 3:47
- "Wasteland" - 3:56
- "Livin' In The Now" - 2:37
- "Stupid, Stoned & Dumb" - 3:10
- "Home" (Bret's Story) - 2:49
- "Home" (C.C.'s Story) - 2:47
- "Rockstar (bonus track)" - 3:33
- Bret Michaels - lead vocals&Rhythm Guitar
- Bobby Dall - bass
- Rikki Rockett - drums
- C.C. DeVille - Lead guitar, lead vocals on "Emperor's New Clothes", "Livin' In the Now" and "Home (C.C's Story)"
- Dan Wagner – keyboards
- Mark Poole – backing vocals
- Christy Calabro – backing vocals
- Cliff Calabro – backing vocals
- 411Mania review
- Hollyweird at AllMusic
- antiMusic review
- KNAC review
- "Allmusic (Poison charts and awards) Billboard albums".