Hollywood District (Portland, Oregon)
|• Association||Hollywood Neighborhood Association|
|• Coalition||Central Northeast Neighbors, Inc.|
|• Total||0.1797 sq mi (.4654 km2)|
|• No. of households||758|
|• Occupancy rate||96% occupied|
|• % households renting||85% renting|
|• Avg. household size||1.4 persons|
The Hollywood District (originally Hollyrood, after the Scottish Holyrood) is a neighborhood of northeast Portland, Oregon, United States renamed for its historic 1920s-era Hollywood Theatre. Although a mixed commercial and residential area, it serves primarily as a shopping district to the adjacent neighborhoods of Grant Park and Laurelhurst, as well as to riders of the MAX Light Rail System. The Hollywood District also figures in Beverly Cleary's Klickitat Street series of books, a fact memorialized in a display at the Hollywood Library, which also provides a Beverly Cleary walking tour.
The Hollywood District was originally part of the Rose City Park subdivision which was platted in 1907. The original Rose City Park subdivision was part of the Donation Land Claim of Joseph Backenstos. The land was later assigned to his widow by President Andrew Johnson in 1866. 1890s-era maps refer to the area as the Crook Tract.
The Hollywood District is home to the Hollywood Farmers Market, a seasonal farmers' market located on northeast Hancock between 44th and 45th avenues that runs from May through November. The Hollywood Boosters started "Hollywood at Night" in summer of 2006. This is a monthly neighborhood event that takes place on the third Thursday of every month to bring together residents and local businesses.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
- Rose City Park Neighborhood History Book: celebrating 90 years since the platting of the Rose City Park subdivision in 1907 (1997, 4th addition); Rose City Park Neighborhood Association, 47 p., Maps.
- Hollywood Neighborhood Association
- Hollywood District history from Portland State University
- Hollywood Boosters neighborhood business association
- Guide to Hollywood Neighborhood from Portlandneighborhood.com
- Northeast Community Center Not-for-profit neighborhood organization providing activities, classes, and fitness facilities
- Hollywood Farmers Market
|This Multnomah County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|