Hollywood Theatre (Portland, Oregon)
Portland Historic Landmark
The marquee and front facade on Sandy Boulevard.
|Location||4122 NE Sandy Boulevard
|Architect||Bennes & Herzog|
|NRHP Reference #||83002172 |
|Added to NRHP||September 1, 1983|
The Hollywood Theatre is a theatre owned by a non-profit organization whose mission is to entertain, inspire, educate and connect the community through the art of film, while preserving a historic Portland landmark.
It is the central historical point of the Hollywood District in northeast Portland, Oregon. The Theatre is located at approximately 42nd and Sandy, across the street from the first Fred Meyer store, which is currently occupied by Rite Aid. The Hollywood Theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The theater has undergone a series of renovations since it was purchased in 1997 by Film Action Oregon. In November 2011, Regal Cinemas donated newer theater seats to the Hollywood Theatre. Two years later a Kickstarter campaign raised the funds necessary to erect a new marquee to be lit in September 2013.
Originally a venue for vaudeville and silent movies, the Hollywood Theatre currently screens local and international films, classic cinema, animation, grindhouse, educational, independent and experimental programming along with blockbuster second-run movies, featuring many programs in 35mm. The main downstairs auditorium has a 50-foot screen, while two smaller auditoriums are located upstairs, separated by a lounge.
September 2013 view, shortly after new marquee was brought into use
- "Oregon National Register List" (PDF). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. June 6, 2011. p. 34. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Fitzgibbon, Joe. "Hollywood Theatre". The Oregon Encyclopedia. Portland State University. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- Parks, Casey (August 28, 2013). "Hollywood Theatre debuts new marquee, inspired by 1926 sign". The Oregonian. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hollywood Theatre (Portland, Oregon).|
- Hollywood Theatre Video of Renovations
- News Reel of Hollywood Theatre
- KATU News Article
- Hollywood Theatre home page
- Cinema Treasures - Hollywood Theatre