30 July 1882
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England
|Died||26 December 1956
Hollywood, California, U.S.
|Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale|
|Spouse(s)||Elinor Kershaw Ince (divorced)
Agnes Bartholomew (until her death in 1955)
Holmes Herbert (30 July 1882 – 26 December 1956) was an English character actor who appeared in Hollywood films from 1915 to 1952.
Life and career
Born as Edward Jenner, Holmes Herbert emigrated to the United States in 1912. He was the first son of Ned Herbert (born Edward Jenner), who worked as an actor and comedian in the British theatre. He never made a film in his native country but managed to appear in 228 films during his career in the U.S., beginning with stalwart leading roles during the silent era and numerous supporting roles in many classic Hollywood films of the sound era, including Captain Blood (1935), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), The Life of Emile Zola (1937), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), and Foreign Correspondent (1940).
In silent films Herbert could play different nationalities, as did his contemporaries like Wyndham Standing, but when sound films came in, their pronounced British accents were revealed.
Herbert is perhaps best known for his role as Dr. Jekyll's friend Dr. Lanyon in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), and made something of a career in horror films of the period, appearing in The Terror (1928), The Thirteenth Chair (1929 and 1937), The Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933), The Invisible Man (1933), Mark of the Vampire (1935), Tower of London (1939), The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), The Undying Monster (1942), The Mummy's Curse and The Son of Dr. Jekyll (1952).
He also played in several of Universal's cycle of Sherlock Holmes films during the 1940s. Holmes Herbert retired in 1952 and died in 1956. He was married three times, including to Beryl Mercer, his first wife and who was the mother of his only child. His other wives were Elinor Kershaw Ince and Agnes Bartholomew.
He died at the age of seventy-four.
- The Divorcee (1919)
- My Lady's Garter (1919)
- The White Heather (1919)
- His House in Order (1920)
- Black Is White (1920)
- Lady Rose's Daughter (1920)
- Heedless Moths (1921)
- The Inner Chamber (1921)
- I Will Repay (1923)
- Another Scandal (1924)
- A Woman of the World (1925)
- Slaves of Beauty (1927)
- Lovers (1927)
- When a Man Loves (1927)
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1928)
- Her Private Life (1929)
- Chances (1931)
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
- The Curtain Falls (1934)
- Here's Flash Casey (1938)
- The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
- The Little Princess (1939)
- Everything Happens at Night (1939)
- South of Suez (1940)
- Scotland Yard (1941)
- Man Hunt (1941)
- Strictly in the Groove (1942)
- Enter Arsène Lupin (1944)
- The Pearl of Death (1944)
- Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1947)
- Singapore (1947)
- The Swordsman (1948)
- Thomas Ince; Hollywood's Independent Pioneer p.276 c.2012 by Brian Taves
- Taves, Brian; Thomas Ince...page. 276
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Holmes Herbert.|
- Holmes Herbert at the Internet Movie Database
- Holmes Herbert at the Internet Broadway Database
- Holmes Herbert at Find a Grave