Holy Cross, Alaska
Deloy Chet, Ingirraller
|Incorporated||April 20, 1968|
|• Mayor||Rebecca Demientieff|
|• Total||37.4 sq mi (97 km2)|
|• Land||31.3 sq mi (81 km2)|
|• Water||6.2 sq mi (16 km2)|
|Elevation||135 ft (41 m)|
|• Density||7.3/sq mi (2.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)|
|• Summer (DST)||AKDT (UTC-8)|
Holy Cross (Deloy Chet[pronunciation?] in Deg Xinag, Ingirraller[pronunciation?] in Central Alaskan Yup'ik) is a city in Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 227.
Holy Cross is located at .(62.198048, -159.773418)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 37.4 square miles (97 km2), of which, 31.3 square miles (81 km2) of it is land and 6.2 square miles (16 km2) of it (16.51%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 227 people, 64 households, and 49 families residing in the city. The population density was 7.3 people per square mile (2.8/km²). There were 81 housing units at an average density of 2.6 per square mile (1.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 3.52% White and 96.48% Native American.
There were 64 households out of which 43.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.9% were married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 17.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.55 and the average family size was 4.00.
In the city the age distribution of the population shows 38.8% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 17.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 136.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 127.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,875, and the median income for a family was $26,250. Males had a median income of $37,813 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $8,542. About 33.3% of families and 45.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.2% of those under the age of eighteen and 47.1% of those sixty five or over.
- "Directory of Borough and City Officials 1974". Alaska Local Government (Juneau: Alaska Department of Community and Regional Affairs) XIII (2): 38. January 1974.
- "Community: Holy Cross". Community Database Online. Juneau: Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs. February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Alaska". United States Census Bureau. 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- ankn.uaf.edu: Deg Xinag Ałixi Ni’elyoy / Deg Xinag Learners' Dictionary (2007)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.