Holy Name University
Holy Name University
|Pamantasan ng Banal na Pangalan|
|Motto||Benedicite Nomini Eius|
|Motto in English||"Blessed be his name"|
|Type||Private Catholic university|
|Religious affiliation||Society of the Divine Word|
|President||Francisco T. Estepa, SVD|
|Location||Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines|
|Hymn||Holy Name March|
|Colors||Yellow and green|
Holy Name University (formerly known as Holy Name College and Divine Word College of Tagbilaran) is a Catholic university, high school and elementary school located in Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines. It is a private, co-educational school run by the Society of the Divine Word (SVD). It offers programs in elementary, secondary, undergraduate and graduate levels. Its tertiary offerings include courses in arts and sciences, education, nursing, commerce and accountancy, computer science, engineering, and law. Aside from instruction, HNU engages in research and community extension.
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) recognizes the university's contribution in the growth and prominence of tertiary education in the Asia-Pacific. As a result, of the 1,200 Private Higher Education Institutions under the supervision of the CHED, the university is one of the first 30 to have been granted autonomous and deregulated status based on three criteria: (1) established as Center of Excellence or Center of Development and or private higher education institutions with FAAP Level III Accredited programs; (2) outstanding overall performance of graduates in the licensure examinations under the Professional Regulation Commission; and (3) a long tradition of integrity and untarnished reputation. It is also accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU).
The school originally had two campuses in Tagbilaran City: the main building (also called Lesage Campus) at the corner of Lesage and Gallares streets and the Janssen Heights Campus in Dampas district. But as an aftermath of the October 2013 7.2 magnitude earthquake, the whole operation of the university has been transferred to the Janssen Heights Campus due to the structural damage suffered by the Lesage Campus main building.
Holy Name University was founded in 1946 by Alphonse Lesage, based on the inspiration of Bishop Julio D. Rosales. It opened as Holy Name College on July 14, 1947 as a diocesan school owned by the Diocese of Tagbilaran. In 1963, the SVD gained full ownership of the college. It was renamed Divine Word College of Tagbilaran as a full-fledged SVD school. From 1947 to 1970, it was run by SVD expatriate missionaries. In 1970, Leo D. Ortiz, became the first Filipino president. Since then, Filipino priests have overseen its growth. On September 21, 2001, it was given full autonomy by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). On November 19, 2001, it was granted full university status and the name was changed to Holy Name University.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Resource Management
- Master of Arts in Education
Majors in Administration & Supervision English Teaching Elementary School Subjects Nursing Education Science Mathematics Secondary Education Guidance & Counseling Elementary Math Teaching Elementary Science Teaching
- Master of Arts in Nursing
Majors in Medical/Surgical Nursing Administration Master of Arts in Teaching Filipino Master of Arts in Business Administration Master of Arts in Public Administration Master of Arts in Philosophy Master of Arts in Library Science Diploma in Cultural Education (under NCCA)
COLLEGE OF LAW
- Bachelor of Laws
COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES
- Bachelor of Arts
with majors in Political Science Philosophy Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Science in:
Biology Criminology Psychology Mathematics Library and Information Science
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
- Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEED)
with majors in General Course Content Pre-school Education Special Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSED)
with majors in English History Mathematics Biological Science Technology and Livelihood Education Filipino Social Studies Physical Science MAPEH (Music, Arts, P.E., Health) Diploma in Special Education (can be completed in 1 year)
COLLEGE OF NURSING
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS & ACCOUNTANCY
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
with majors in Business Economics Financial Management Human Resource Development Management Management Accounting Marketing Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management
- Associate in Office Administration
COLLEGE OF COMPUTER STUDIES
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Associate in Computer Technology
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCpE)
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE)
BASIC EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
- Senior High School (by 2016)
- Junior High School
- Grade School
- The motto of Holy Name University is "Benedicite Nomini Eius" (English: Blessed be his name.)
- The HNU seal or logo is made up of a blue shield surrounded by an unbroken cord of gold. A gold scroll in the middle contains the motto. The shield has four compartments, each containing an emblem representing the thrusts and character of Holy Name University: the three-dimensional triangle (representing the trilogy of education: instruction, research and community extension); the flaming torch (symbol of education and learning); the emblem of the Divine Word (representing both ownership and gratitude to the SVD); and the hills and coconut tree (representing the province of Bohol and beyond). The main colors of the logo are blue, green and gold.
- The school hymn is the "Holy Name March" written by Elpidio Biliran and his wife.
- The school song is "I Wanna Be" by Michael Caňares.
- Level III PAASCU
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business and Accountancy
- College of Education
- Level II PAASCU
- High School Department
- Level I PAASCU
- Grade School Department
- Civil Engineering
Board of Trustees (2012-2013)
- Chair: Ricardo Generoso Rebayla Jr.
- Vice Chair: Dionisio Miranda
- Heinz Kuleuke
- Arthur Villanueva
- Leonardo Medroso
- Conchita Manabat
- Franscisco Estepa
- Florante S. Camacho
- Brigido Angngasing
- Eloisa David
- Fr. Francisco T. Estepa, SVD University President
- Fr. Ruel F. Lero, SVD Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Fr. Vicente L. Uy, SVD Vice President for Administration
- Fr. Cyrus T. Mercado, SVD Vice President for Finance
- Fr. Orencio M. Rodriguez, SVD Asst. Vice President for Administration
- Basic Education Department: Prisciano Legitimas
- College of Law: Tomas Abapo
- College of Arts and Sciences: Teodoro Gapuz
- College of Nursing: Ruvih Joy P. Garrote
- College of Engineering: James P. Uy
- College of Business and Accountancy: Jemma J. Jay
- College of Computer Science: Amie Rosarie C. Caballo
- College of Education: Roque Bongcac
- Edgar Chatto—member of the Philippine House of Representatives, representative of the first district of Bohol, presently the governor of Bohol
- Roberto Cajes—member of the Philippine House of Representatives, representative of the second district of Bohol
- Eladio M. Jala—member of the Philippine House of Representatives, representative of the third district of Bohol
- Rene Relampagos—former governor of Bohol, presently representative of the first district of Bohol
- Marjorie Evasco—feminist poet 
- Oscar Butron Glovasa—1st place, 1969 Bar Examination 
- Romualdo Murcia III—1st place, CPA Board Examination, October 1997  
- Warren Yap Jr.—2nd place, CPA Board Examination, May 2006 
- Rich Asuncion—actress
- Cathy Remperas—actress
- Jimmy Borja—composer
- "HNU: Humble Beginnings". http://www.hnu.edu.ph/about/index.php?about=humble.
- "Humble Beginning:A Brief History of an Institution". Holy Name University. Retrieved December 28, 2006.[dead link]
- "About the seal". Holy Name University. Retrieved December 28, 2006.[dead link]
- "The Holy Name March". Holy Name University. Retrieved December 28, 2006.[dead link]
- ""I Wanna Be" (HNU Song)". Holy Name University. Retrieved December 28, 2006.[dead link]
- "HNU Administration". http://www.hnu.edu.ph/administration/.
- "HNU Personnel". http://www.hnu.edu.ph/administration/.
- "Personal information: Chatto, Edgardo Migriño". I-site.ph. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Personal information: Cajes, Roberto Castaño". I-site.ph. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Personal information:Jala, Eladio Malinguez". I-site.ph. Retrieved November 18, 2013.