Holy See–Mexico relations
Holy See – Mexico relations are foreign relations between the Holy See and Mexico. The Vatican assigned an Apostolic Delegate as resident representative in Mexico in 1904, after diplomatic relations had earlier been broken off. In 1992 diplomatic relations were restored and resident diplomatic missions were established in each other's capitals, respectively. As of 1990 about 90 percent of Mexico's 86 million people declared themselves Roman Catholics.
Mexico and the Vatican broke diplomatic relations after President Benito Juárez confiscated church property between 1856 and 1861. He disbanded religious orders and ordered the separation of church and state. Some of the powers of the Catholic Church were reinstated by the dictator Porfirio Diaz.
Papal visits from the Holy See to Mexico
Presidential visits from Mexico to the Holy See
- President Luis Echeverría (1974)
- President Carlos Salinas de Gortari (1991)
- President Ernesto Zedillo (1996)
- President Vicente Fox (2001)
- President Felipe Calderón (2007, 2011)
- President Enrique Peña Nieto (2013, 2014)
Resident diplomatic missions
- Holy See has an Apostolic Nunciature in Mexico City.
- Mexico has a resident embassy to the Holy See in Rome.
- Rohter, Larry (February 15, 1990). "Mexico and Vatican Move Toward Restoring Ties". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
After more than a century of estrangement, the Mexican Government and the Vatican are suddenly moving toward re-establishing formal diplomatic relations and are also having informal talks on restoring some civil rights to the Roman Catholic Church here.
- Golden, Tim (September 22, 1992). "Mexico and the Catholic Church Restore Full Diplomatic Ties". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
Mexico and the Vatican re-established full diplomatic relations today after a break of more than 130 years, completing a reconciliation based on the Government's restoration of legal rights to religious groups earlier this year.
- Los Presidentes de México en el Vaticano (in Spanish)
- Apostolic Nunciature of the Holy See in Mexico City (in Spanish)
- Embassy of Mexico to the Holy See (in Spanish)
|This Mexican government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Vatican City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|