Holy See–Republic of Macedonia relations
The Republic of Macedonia became an independent country in 1991, when it declared itself independent from the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. The Holy See was among the countries which supported the Macedonian independence and sovereignty from the very start.
Full diplomatic relations between the Holy See and Macedonia were established on 21 December 1994. However, the Holy See is not among the 131 states which recognized Macedonia under its constitutional name, but established relations under the country's UN reference "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".
Until 2002 the embassy of the Republic of Macedonia in Slovenia was acrredited to the Holy See. Since 2002 the Republic of Macedonia maintains an embassy for the Holy See in Rome. The Holy See has an apostolic nunciature to Slovenia in Ljubljana, which is also responsible for Macedonia.
Relations with the Macedonian Orthodox Church – Ohrid Archbishopric
The relations between the Roman Catholic Church and the Macedonian Orthodox Church – Ohrid Archbishopric (MOC-OA) are characterized as good. The Holy See has often and in a variety of ways helped the functioning of the Orthodox Church in Macedonia.
- Папата поканет да ја посети Македонија (in Macedonian). Utrinski vesnik. 19-09-2009
- PM Gruevski meets Zagreb Archbishop Bozanic Macedonian Information Agency. 09-11-2009
- Бенедикт 16: Ватикан е пријател на Македонија (in Macedonian). A1 Television. 22-05-2009
- Ѓорѓевски: Стогодишнината од раѓањето на Мајка Тереза добар повод папата да ја посети Македонија (in Macedonian). Alfa TV. 14-01-2010
- Македонија и Ватикан 15 години негуваат дипломатски односи (in Macedonian). Inpress. 22-12-2009
- Bolivia is 131. country to use Macedonia's constitutional name Ekonom:east Media Group. 20-01-2011
- МИА Интервју со новиот амбасадор на Република Македонија во Ватикан Ѓоко Ѓорѓевски (in Macedonian). Macedonian Information Agency. 14-01-2010
- List of Diplomatic Missions and Consular Offices to the Republic of Macedonia Republic of Macedonia- Ministry of Foreign Affairs