Saint Michael Church
|• Mayor||Rüdiger Schneidewind (SPD)|
|• Total||82.64 km2 (31.91 sq mi)|
|• Density||500/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||06841, 06848 (Einöd and Wörschweiler)|
Homburg German pronunciation: [ˈhɔmbʊʁk] is a town in Saarland, Germany, the administrative seat of the Saarpfalz district. With a population of c. 44,000 inhabitants, is the third city in its federal state. The medical department of the University of Saarland is situated here. The city is also home to the Karlsberg beer brewery. Major employers include Michelin and Robert Bosch GmbH.
Homburg is situated in north of the district of Saarpfalz, close to the borders of Saarland with Rhineland-Palatinate and not too far from France. It is 16 km from Neunkirchen and 36 km from Saarbrücken.
The town counts 9 villages: Beeden, Bruchhof-Sanddorf, Einöd, Erbach, Jägersburg, Kirrberg, Reiskirchen, Schwarzenbach and Wörschweiler.
- Homburg is home to the Schlossberg Höhlen (Schlossberg Caves).
- Homburg is the home of Gutenbrunnen (Schloss Louisenthal).
- Homburg is the home of the Schloss Karlsberg (Karlsberg Castle)
- Homburg is the home of the Wörschweiler Abbey
Homburg Hauptbahnhof is the main railway station in the town, served by long-distance and regional trains. By road transport, the town is served by the motorways A6 (exit Homburg) and A8 (exits Limbach and Einöd).
- Timo Bernhard (born 1981, sports car racer)
- Horst Ehrmantraut (born 1955, former football player)
- Markus Heitz (born 1971, fantasy author)
- Michael Jakosits (born 1970, olympic sports shooter)
- Laura Steinbach (born 1985, handball player)
- Andreas Walzer (born 1970, former cyclist)
Homburg is twinned with:
- "Fläche und Bevölkerung - Stand: 31.12.2013 (Basis Zensus 2011)" (PDF). Statistisches Amt des Saarlandes (in German). September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Homburg, Saarland.|
- (German) Homburg official website
- (German) Literature about Homburg
- Kloster Wörschweiler (in German)
|This Saarland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|