Home (2014 film)
|Directed by||Tim Johnson|
|Produced by||Chris Jenkins
|Screenplay by||Tom J. Astle
|Based on||The True Meaning of Smekday
by Adam Rex
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
Home (developed as Happy Smekday!) is an upcoming American 3D computer animated comedy buddy film by DreamWorks Animation. It is based on the 2007 Adam Rex's children's book The True Meaning of Smekday. Tim Johnson is the director, and Chris Jenkins and Suzanne Buirgy are the producers of the film, adapted by Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember. Distributed by 20th Century Fox, the film is currently scheduled to be released on November 26, 2014.
An overly optimistic, yet inept, alien race named Boov, led by Captain Smek, invades Earth to hide from their mortal enemy and make it a new home. Convinced they are doing a favour, they begin to relocate the human race, but one resourceful girl, Tip, manages to avoid capture. When on the run, she is accompanied with a banished Boov, named Oh, who has accidentally notified the enemies of his whereabouts.
- Jim Parsons as Oh, a Boov
- Rihanna as Tip, a teenage girl
- Jennifer Lopez as Tip's mother
- Steve Martin as Captain Smek, a Boov
In 2008, DreamWorks Animation optioned the book's rights to adapt it into an animated feature film. On his blog, Adam Rex announced that DreamWorks renewed the option of the adaptation in 2011. On June 20, 2012, it was revealed that the title of the film would be Happy Smekday!, Jim Parsons and Rihanna would star in the lead roles, and the film would be released in fourth-quarter 2014. In September 2012, 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation announced the release for November 26, 2014. In June 2013, the film was retitled from Happy Smekday! to Home. On October 3, 2013, it was announced that Jennifer Lopez and Steve Martin had joined the cast of the film.
- "DreamWorks Animation SKG Management Discusses Q3 2013 Results - Earnings Call Transcript". Seeking Alpha. October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 30, 2013. "Home is an outrageously funny buddy movie about a hilarious, yet inept, alien race and their equally inept invasion of Earth."
- DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- Dickey, Josh (October 3, 2013). "Jennifer Lopez, Steve Martin Board DreamWorks Animation’s ‘Home’ (Exclusive)". The Wrap News Inc. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- "Jim Parsons and Rihanna to Voice DreamWorks Animation's Happy Smekday!". DreamWorks Animation. ComingSoon.net. June 20, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Intergalactic Memo - Subject: Steve Martin and Jennifer Lopez". PR Newswire. October 4, 2013. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Herreras, Mari (September 23, 2010). "T Q&A Adam Rex". Tucson Weekly. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Rex, Adam (November 16, 2011). "@delzey Yes, Dreamworks optioned SMEKDAY 3 yrs. ago, and renewed the option this year. If they make it I expect it'll be CGI. #kidlitchat". MrAdamRex. Twitter. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "Movie Title Changes". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on June 19, 2013. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Home at the Internet Movie Database
- Home at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Home at Rotten Tomatoes
- Home at Metacritic
- Home at Box Office Mojo
|This animated film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|