Homecoming (Kanye West song)
|Single by Kanye West featuring Chris Martin|
|from the album Graduation|
|Released||February 18, 2008
(See release history)
|Format||Digital download, 12" single|
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Kanye West, Chris Martin, Warryn Campbell|
|Producer(s)||Kanye West, Warryn "Baby Dubb" Campbell|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
"Homecoming" is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West featuring guest vocals from Chris Martin, lead singer of the British Alternative band Coldplay, whom he met during an impromptu jam session at Abbey Road Studios in 2006. It was released as the final single of his third studio album Graduation. It has been released in the United Kingdom as a download release and was due to be released as a physical single on 4 February 2008. However, the CD single was cancelled due to downloads starting to decline before the release. It was, however, released on vinyl single on 18 February. "Homecoming" reached Number 9 in the United Kingdom on January 20, 2008, (for the week ending date January 26, 2008), on download sales alone.
"Homecoming" serves as a tribute to West's hometown of Chicago, Illinois. By using an extended metaphor that personifies the city as a childhood sweetheart named Windy, West rhymes about his love for Chicago and his guilt over leaving "her" to pursue his musical dream. West's opening and closing lines lyrically reference "I Used to Love H.E.R.," a similar metaphoric hip-hop song written by his close friend, label-mate, and fellow Chicagoan rapper Common, who would later make two cameo appearances in the single's music video.
The lyrics for "Homecoming" were originally recorded by West with GOOD Music recording artist John Legend singing a different chorus on a track called "Home." This song circulated on West's 2003 mixtape Get Well Soon... as well as on the advance copy of The College Dropout, which was never released due to a leak. The original version possessed West's once trademark soulful vocal sample-based hip-hop production style.
Screen shots of the music video for "Homecoming" were posted by Kanye on his official blog on March 6, 2008.
The entire video is in black and white. The video features a montage of Kanye walking through many different areas of his home city of Chicago. Common, Kanye's label mate makes an appearance in the video. Chris Martin is featured in the video playing the piano and singing the chorus of the song, mostly in silhouette.
The video was directed by Hype Williams and it was nominated for Best Hip-Hop Video at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards. BET placed it at #84 on the Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2008 countdown.
- Australian iTunes - Single
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||27|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||17|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||35|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||79|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||13|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||18|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||26|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||22|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||38|
|Turkey (Billboard Türkiye)||21|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||9|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||69|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||53|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Tracks||15|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||50|
|United Kingdom||February 18, 2008|
|United States||May 13, 2008|
|Australia||June 16, 2008|
- "iTunes - Music - Homecoming - Single by Kanye West". Phobos.apple.com. 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- UK Music Charts | The Official UK Top 75 Singles: Week of Mon 24 Mar - Yahoo! Music UK
- Greene, Jayson (2007-09-10). "Kanye West Graduation – Music Review". Stylus Magazine. stylusmagazine.com. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- Benbow, Julian (2007-09-11). "After the Hip-hop Hype". The Boston Globe (Globe Newspaper Company). Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- Ahmed, Insanul (September 21, 2011). "Kanye West × The Heavy Hitters, Get Well Soon (2003) – Clinton Sparks' 30 Favorite Mixtapes". Complex. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- kanYe West : Blog
- HOMECOMING on Vimeo
- kanYe West : Blog
- Australian iTunes - Homecoming - Single Retrieved: June 13, 2008
- "Australian-charts.com – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming". Tracklisten.
- "Kanye West feat. Chris Martin: Homecoming" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming". Singles Top 60.
- "Kanye West feat. Chris Martin – Homecoming – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Herald Sun HiT Australian release dates. Retrieved on June 19, 2008