Homestead High School (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
|Homestead High School|
|4310 Homestead Road
Fort Wayne, Indiana, 46814
|School district||Southwest Allen County Schools|
|Athletics conference||Northeast Hoosier Conference|
Homestead Senior High School, in Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States, is a public 4-year high school. Homestead is a class 5A high school. Part of Southwest Allen County Schools, the school receives accreditation from the Indiana Department of Education and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
The Spartan Alliance Band competes as a Class A Band in the Indiana State School Music Association and in the Bands of America (BOA) Grand National Championships. The State finals have been held at the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil Stadium since it opened in 2008. The band has won five state championships (1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2011), third all time in Class A behind Ben Davis High School and Avon High School. Since 1990 they have never finished lower than fourth place at State Finals, and have been either first or second thirteen times. As of 2012, Homestead holds the record for most consecutive State Finals Appearances of any current Class A Band at 26. Ben Davis previously held the record at 24 consecutive years (1975-1998 all in Class A). Lewis Cass High School, currently a class D band, holds the record for the most consecutive State Finals Appearances of any Class Band at 31 (1982–2012, 1984-2005 in Class C).
They have competed in competitions in Hawaii, Florida, Arizona, and California. In 1999 they performed at Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. In 2000 they won the Blue Cross Blue Shield Grand Champions at the same competition. In 2003 They participated in the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California as well as performing in the Disneyland parade in Anaheim. In 2006 and 2011, the band performed in the Walt Disney World parade in Orlando, Florida. Homestead annually hosts ISSMA District Competition, as well as hosts its own competition named Fall Festival of Bands.
- The Spartana, Homestead's student newspaper, was recently awarded the NSPA Pacemaker award for its 2004 − 2005 and 2008 - 2009 volumes. The current volume was awarded first in the Best in Show competition. The Spartana has won this award four times.
Homestead has a variety of sports teams and clubs which compete at the highest state level(5A/4A). Homestead also belongs to the NHC, and is a regular power in every sport.
- The Gymnastics Team won the state championship in 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1999 and 2001.
- The 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, & 2010 Dance Teams won state. The 2004, 2006, & 2008 Dance Teams won nationals.
- The Spartan Hockey Club were State Champions in 1991(AA), 1992(A) and 1995(AA)
- The boys basketball team won the state championship in 2015(AAAA).
Dave S. Walter Memorial Stadium is the school's athletic field. In 2004, artificial turf was installed.
- Rob Bowen, catcher, former Major League Baseball player
- Susan Brooks, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Indiana's 5th district
- Jordan Witzigreuter, singer from The Ready Set
- Homestead High School website
- Article on indianafind.com[dead link]
- Homestead High School Radio Station - 91.1 FM