Bird's-eye view of the Samford University campus
Location in Jefferson County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||8.3 sq mi (21.5 km2)|
|• Land||8.3 sq mi (21.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||666 ft (203 m)|
|• Density||3,017.2/sq mi (1,164.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||35209, 35219, 35259|
|GNIS feature ID||0120316|
Homewood is a city in southeastern Jefferson County, Alabama, United States. It is a suburb of Birmingham, located on the other side of Red Mountain due south of the city center. It has one of the highest population densities in Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city is 25,167.
It is located at (33.468306, -86.808146).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.3 square miles (21 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,043 people, 10,688 households, and 5,878 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,014.7 people per square mile (1,163.6/km²). There were 11,494 housing units at an average density of 1,383.6 per square mile (534.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 79.75% White- or Caucasian American, 15.30% Black or African-American, 0.20% Native American, 2.57% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.00% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. 2.80% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 10,688 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.0% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.0% were non-families. 36.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.3% under the age of 18, 17.8% from 18 to 24, 34.0% from 25 to 44, 17.3% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 86.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $55,431, and the median income for a family was $70,256. Males had a median income of $40,969 versus $34,694 for females. The per capita income for the city was $25,491. About 4.4% of families and 7.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Homewood High School
- Homewood Middle School
- Hall Kent Elementary School
- Shades Cahaba Elementary School
- Edgewood Elementary School
Homewood High School Band
The Homewood High School Patriot Marching Band participated in the 2011 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the eighth time it has performed in the parade, more than any other band outside of the New York City area. The band also participated in the 2014 Tournament of Roses Parade, in Pasadena, California. This was the fourth time that this band has performed in this parade, which is more than any other band in the state of Alabama.
Colleges and Universities
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School
- The Islamic Academy of Alabama
- Patriot Park
- Homewood Central Park
- West Homewood Park
- Woodland Park
- Overton Park
- Spring Park
- Homewood Soccer Park
- This city features the Brookwood shopping center and hospital.
- It is a sister city to Homewood, Illinois.
- It is the home of Children's Author and Poet Charles Ghigna.
- It was home to fictional character Aunt sister and many other characters from the "Southern Sisters Mysteries" by Pulitzer prize nominated author and poet Anne George.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Official website of the City of Homewood
- Homewood Chamber of Commerce
- Homewood Fire Department
- Homewood Police Department
- Homewood Public Library
- Homewood Community Website