Homi Bhabha National Institute
|Homi Bhabha National Institute|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai is one of the institutions of excellence as per section 4(b) of (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006. And, it has been placed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) task force in Category ‘A’.
Prime minister of India, Manmohan Singh, announced the approval of the government of India for setting up of HBNI on June 4, 2005. It is named after the late Indian physicist Homi J. Bhabha. The HRD Ministry of the government of India declared Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI) a deemed to be University along with ten Constituent Institutions (CIs).
HBNI and its ten CI's are among the very few institutions of excellence chosen by the Parliament of India to be kept out of the purview of reservations in the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Bill, 2006, which increases the reserved seats to 49.5 per cent in prestigious educational institutes like Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
The institute was the brainchild of its first and present director, Ravi Grover.
R&D centers 
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai.
- Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam near Chennai
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
- Institute for Plasma Research
- Harishchandra Research Institute
- Tata Memorial Centre
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- National Institute of Science Education and Research
Current Students 
- OCES (Orientation Course for Engineers and Scientists) Trainees at Bhabha Atomic Research Center and affiliated Training Schools
- DGFS (DAE Graduate fellowship scheme) Ph.D Scholars
- Junior/Senior Research Fellows
- Students at Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Students at National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
- Employees of Department of Atomic Energy
OCES and DGFS candidates are offered employment in DAE as Scientific Officer – C after culmination of their course work.
Courses and training schools 
Majority of courses are conducted at BARC Training schools at:
- BARC Training School at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- BARC Training School at Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam
- BARC Training School at Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore
- BARC Training School at Nuclear Fuel Complex, Hyderabad
- Nuclear Training Centres at Kaiga, Tarapur, Rawatbhata and Kudankulam.
- Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD), Hyderabad
- For science and engineering : PGDip, M.Phil, M.Sc(Engg), M.Tech and Ph.D.
- For Health Sciences : at Tata Memorial Centre : DM (Medical Oncology), M.Ch.(Surgical Oncology), MD (Pathology), MD (Anesthesia), MD (Radiotherapy), MD (Radio-diagnosis) and Ph.D.(Health Sciences, Epidemiology)
See also 
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, another research oriented deemed university.