Honda Cars India
|Headquarters||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh|
|Number of locations||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
|Key people||Mr. Hironori Kanayama, President and CEO|
Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) is a subsidiary of the Honda of Japan for the production, marketing and export of passenger cars in India. Formerly known as Honda Siel Cars India Ltd, it began operations in December 1995 as a joint venture between Honda Motor Company and Usha International of Siddharth Shriram Group. In August, 2012, Honda bought out Usha International's entire 3.16 percent stake for 1.8 billion in the joint venture. The company officially changed its name to Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) and became a 100% subsidiary of Honda.
It operates production facilities at Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh and at Bhiwadi in Rajasthan. The company's total investment in its production facilities in India as of 2010 was over 16.2 billion.
HCIL's first manufacturing unit at Greater Noida commenced operations in 1997. Setup at an initial investment of over 4.5 billion, the plant is spread over 150 acres (0.61 km2). The initial capacity of the plant was 30,000 cars per annum, which was thereafter increased to 50,000 cars on a two-shift basis. The capacity has further been enhanced to 100,000 units annually as of 2008. This expansion led to an increase in the covered area in the plant from 107,000 m² to over 130,000 m².
The company invested 7.8 billion in Bhiwadi for its second production plant with an annual production capacity of 50,000 units. It operates under the ISO 9001 standard for quality management and ISO 14001 for environment management.
HCIL produces the following vehicles in India for local and export markets:
- Honda City (Launched 1998)
- Honda Accord (Launched 2001)
- Honda Civic (Launched 2006, Production discontinued in 2012)
- Honda Jazz (Launched 2009, Production temporarily discontinued in early 2013 in anticipation of all-new model)
- Honda Brio (Launched 2011)
- Honda CR-V (Imported since 2003; 2013 model locally assembled)
- Honda amaze <family sedan> (launched April 2013)
It sold 55,884 units during the period April '09 - February '10 as against 45,052 units during the same period a year ago, recording an increase of over 24%. Honda jazz is known as Honda fit in other countries.
- Best Indian Company (unlisted) by Business Standard Group
- Manufacturer of the Year by NDTV Profit-Car India
- Manufacturer of the Year by CNBC-TV 18 Autocar India
- No 1 Mid Size Car (Honda City); No 1 Entry Luxury Car (Honda Accord) and No 1 Premium SUV (Honda CR-V) by TNS
- Best Mid-size Car in Initial Quality (Honda City) and Most Appealing Mid-size car (Honda City) by JD Power
- CNBC Autocar CAR of the year 2004 - Honda City
- ICICI Overdrive SUV of the Year 2004 - Honda CR-V
- ICICI Overdrive Car of the Year 2004 - Honda City
- Business Standard Motoring Car of the Year 2004 - Honda City
- HCIL Website - Honda Executives
- "Company Profile". Honda Cars India. Retrieved 2011-09-29.