Honda of the UK Manufacturing
(Private limited company)
|Headquarters||Swindon, United Kingdom|
|Owner||Honda Motor Company|
Number of employees
|Parent||Honda Motor Co., Ltd|
Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd. (informally HUM) is a United Kingdom-based manufacturing subsidiary of the multinational automotive company Honda. HUM operates a number of manufacturing plants at a site in Swindon, which include casting, engine assembly, pressing, welding, painting and car assembly activities. HUM employs around 3,400 people at the plants, which occupy a site covering around 370 acres. Honda has made a total investment of over £1.5 billion in the Swindon plants. In 2008 the Swindon site produced 230,423 cars.
Honda's decision to invest in production facilities in Swindon came as a result of Honda's collaboration with Rover Group, which started in 1979. HUM was established in 1985 and production at the engine plant began in 1989. In 1992 production of the Honda Accord began in Swindon, and a second engine line was installed. In 1994 production of the Honda Civic began in Swindon. In August 2000 it was revealed that UK-manufactured Honda cars would be exported to Japan for the first time.
HUM opened a second car assembly plant in Swindon in September 2001, creating an additional 200 jobs at the site. In December 2001 workers at the Swindon plants voted to form a union and be represented by the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union. In 2002 production of the Honda Accord ended at Swindon, and in October of that year Ken Keir, the then managing director of HUM, stated that Honda would maintain vehicle production in the UK irrespective of whether or not it joined the Eurozone.
In September 2006, it was announced that Honda would be recruiting an additional 700 workers for the Swindon plants, and raising production of vehicles at the site by 32% to 250,000. In February 2008 it was announced that Honda would be making an £80 million investment in new production facilities at the Swindon site for the manufacture of plastic car parts and metal castings for engines.
On 30 January 2009, it was announced that workers at the Swindon site would be laid off for four months until 1 June, with full-pay for the first two months of the period and about half-pay for the remainder. In October 2009 HUM began production of the Honda Jazz.
In September 2012, Honda announced a £267 million investment programme the Swindon site, to support the introduction of new models of the Civic and CR-V and a new 1.6-litre diesel engine. The investment will take total investment at the site to around £1.5 billion and will increase the workforce to 3,500. 
The 2014 Civic Tourer began production at Honda UK manufacturing early 2013 for the European market.
Cars Made At Honda Manufacturing UK
Honda Civic (1994 - Present)
Honda CR-V (2000 - Present)
Honda Fit (2009 - 2014)
Honda Accord (1993 - 2003)
- "Key Facts and Milestones". Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Ruddick, Graham (4 October 2009). "Honda's UK plant is leading the car industry's revival". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Honda boost for UK car industry". BBC News. 14 August 2000. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Honda boosts UK investment". BBC News. 10 September 2001. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Honda workers vote for union". BBC News. 10 December 2001. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Madslien, Jorn (8 October 2002). "Honda insists it will stay in the UK". BBC News. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Honda to Raise Production at Swindon, England, by 32%". Bloomberg. 28 September 2006. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Honda to take on 700 more staff at Swindon". London: The Independent. 29 September 2006. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "£80m investment at Honda factory". BBC News. 20 February 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- Dunkley, Jamie (30 January 2009). "Honda's UK workers face 4 month layoff as profits tumble". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "First Honda Jazz car made in UK". BBC News. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Honda invests £267m in Swindon plant". BBC News. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Honda in £267m UK expansion". The Independent. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2012.