Hondius Inlet (Bulgarian: залив Хондий, ‘Zaliv Hondius’ \'za-liv 'hon-diy\) is the 5.7 km wide ice-filled inlet indenting for 6.7 km the tip of Joerg Peninsula, Bowman Coast on the Antarctic Peninsula southeast of Three Slice Nunatak. Its head is fed by Getman Ice Piedmont.
The feature is named after the Flemish cartographer Jodocus Hondius (Joost de Hondt, 1563-1612) whose 1595 map depicted the southern continent Terra Australis separated from both Tierra del Fuego and New Guinea.
Hondius Inlet is centred at Coordinates: . British mapping in 1963 and 1976.
- British Antarctic Territory. Scale 1:200000 topographic map. DOS 610 Series, Sheet W 68 64. Directorate of Overseas Surveys, Tolworth, UK, 1963.
- British Antarctic Territory: Palmer Land. Scale 1:250000 topographic map. BAS 250 Series, Sheet SR 19-20. London, 1976.
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD). Scale 1:250000 topographic map. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), 1993-2012.
- Hondius Inlet. SCAR Composite Antarctic Gazetteer.
- Bulgarian Antarctic Gazetteer. Antarctic Place-names Commission. (details in Bulgarian, basic data in English)
This article includes information from the Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria which is used with permission.
|This Graham Land location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|