|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
View of Hongkou from a building near the Luxun park
Hongkou in Shanghai
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Hongkou (help·info) (simplified Chinese: 虹口区; traditional Chinese: 虹口區; pinyin: Hóngkǒu Qū; Shanghainese: ghon1kheu2 chiu1) is a northern district of Shanghai proper, People's Republic of China. It has a land area of 23.48 km2 (9.07 sq mi) and a population of 799,700 as of 2001.
Hongkou is home to the Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) and the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. Fuxing High School and Shanghai Foreign Language School Affiliated to SISU (SFLS) are the best high schools in this area.
During the Second World war when the city was occupied by the Japanese, 20,000 Jewish refugees from Nazi-occupied Europe lived in a notoriously overcrowded square-mile section known to the West as the Shanghai ghetto.
Richard Evans, author of Deng Xiaoping and the Making of Modern China (first edition 1993) said that he used the spelling Hongkew for Hongkou in his book, along with other older spellings, because that name had been used for Anglophones for a long period of time and "to continue to use them is comparable to go on to using Vienna for Wien or Venice for Venezia."
- Tilanqiao (提篮桥街道)
- North Sichuan Road Subdistrict (四川北路街道)
- Ouyang Road Subdistrict (欧阳路街道)
- Guangzhong Road Subdistrict (广中路街道)
- Liangcheng New Village Subdistrict (凉城新村街道)
- Jiaxing Road Subdistrict (嘉兴路街道)
- Quyang Road Subdistrict (曲阳路街道)
- Jiangwanzhen Subdistrict (江湾镇街道).
- Evans, Richard. Deng Xiaoping and the Making of Modern China. Penguin Books, 1995. Second Edition. Page xi. ISBN 0-14-013945-1 - The first edition is dated 1993
- "虹口区-行政区划网 www.xzqh.org". XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24. (Chinese)
- Lianhua 2003(?) Annual Report (Archive). Lianhua Supermarket. p. 2. "Registered Office 11th to 15th Floors 1666 Sichuan (North) Road Shanghai The PRC Place of Business in Hong Kong 26th to 27th Floors Harcourt Building 39 Gloucester Road Wanchai Hong Kong" - Traditional Chinese (Archive): "註冊辦事處 中國上海 四川北路1666號 11至15樓 香港營業地點 香港灣仔告士打道39號 夏愨大廈26至27樓"
|This Shanghai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|