Honor Takes Center Stage
|Honor Takes Center Stage|
|Promotion||Ring of Honor|
|Date||1 April 2011 – 2 April 2011|
|Venue||Center Stage Theatre|
|WrestleMania Weekend chronology|
Honor Takes Center Stage was a professional wrestling pay-per-view event produced by Ring of Honor (ROH). It took place over two consecutive days, on 1 and 2 April 2011, at the Center Stage Theatre in Atlanta, with the 1 April show at 8pm ET/5pm PT, and the 2 April show at a special matinee time of 1pm ET/10am PT. It was the seventh ROH event to be shown on live online pay-per-view (PPV).
The main match of the first show was Eddie Edwards' first ROH World Championship defence, against Christopher Daniels. After becoming World Champion in September 2010, Roderick Strong first defended his title in November against Daniels who lost, but won an impromptu non-title rematch in January. He was therefore granted another match for the championship at this event, with Strong as his original opponent, however at Manhattan Mayhem IV, Edwards used his Survival of the Fittest win to challenge Strong and become the new ROH World Champion. Edwards and Daniels have a long history as, in March 2010, Edwards became the first ROH World Television Champion. He held this title for 280 days, making nine title defences until Daniels won it from him in December on the weekly Ring of Honor Wrestling programme in a match that almost went to the standard 15 minute time limit of TV Title matches. Their rematch was given an extended 10 minutes and made a Two Out of Three Falls match at 9th Anniversary Show in February which ended in a 1–1 time limit draw.
The second featured championship match saw Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas) finally have a match for the ROH World Tag Team Championship having entered Ring of Honor the previous September. Their Glory By Honor IX debut against reigning champions Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) and lose in a non-title match. They returned to ROH as regulars from December onwards and defeated the Kings of Wrestling in another non-title match at SoCal Showdown II, then went on to win a contendership match against the Briscoe Brothers at 9th Anniversary Show earning them a rubber match with the Kings, this time for the ROH World Tag Team Championship. On 7 March, Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team issued a video challenge to the only major tag team in ROH they had not yet faced, the American Wolves (Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards), for a match on the second day of the event, which they soon accepted.
Roderick Strong was involved in two rematches from his World Championship reign, across the weekend. On the first event he wrestled Davey Richards, who he defended his title against at Final Battle 2010. Their match came to an abrupt end when Richards passed out after suffering a concussion and broken ear drum. Meanwhile, at SoCal Showdown II on 28 January, Strong defended his title against El Generico but had to hit Generico with the title belt to do so after Generico showed resilience against Strong.
On the second day, there was another rematch but this time a tag team contest between the Briscoe Brothers and the All Night Express (Kenny King and Rhett Titus). Going into Manhattan Mayhem IV, the Express were a villainous pair but the New York crowd did not welcome the southern Briscoes leading to a rare double-turn. Spurred on by a rowdy crowd, the match became violent with Titus becoming bloodied. After the All Night Express won the match, the two teams continued to brawl even into the locker room, where a rematch was offered and eventually accepted.
As part of an ongoing feud, Prince Nana's group The Embassy has been targeting Colt Cabana who disagrees with Nana using his money to exploit people. On the 24 March Videowire, Nana's barrister R.D. Evans announced they had procured the services of English wrestling veteran Dave Taylor to face Cabana on the second day of the event.
On 8 March, ROH's website announced the signing of three joshi wrestlers from the all-female Japanese promotion S-Ovation would debut over the weekend; Hiroyo Matsumoto, Ayumi Kurihara, and Tomoka Nakagawa would all wrestle after appearing at ROH's sister promotion Shimmer Women Athletes. At Final Battle 2010, Shimmer stalwart Serena Deeb teamed with Sara Del Rey to take on her enemy Daizee Haze who had picked Amazing Kong as her partner. On 28 March, ROH announced that the team of Deeb and Del Rey would wrestle Matsumoto and Kurihara on the first day of the event. On the second day, Matsumoto and Kurihara challenged Haze and Nakagawa for the Shimmer Tag Team Championship, having won them six days previously at Volume 40.
|No.||Chapter 1 Results||Stipulations||Times|
|1||Michael Elgin defeated El Generico||Singles match with The House of Truth banned from ringside||09:13|
|2||Homicide defeated Colt Cabana, Caleb Konley (with Truth Martini), and Tommaso Ciampa (with Prince Nana, Ernesto Osiris, Princess Mia and R.D. Evans)||Four-courner survival match||09:23|
|3||Ayumi Kurihara and Hiroyo Matsumoto defeated Sara Del Rey and Serena Deeb||Tag team match||09:01|
|4||The Briscoe Brothers (Jay and Mark Briscoe) defeated Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly||Tag team match||13:23|
|5||Davey Richards defeated Roderick Strong (with Truth Martini) via submission||Singles match||27:06|
|6||Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) defeated The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) (c) (with Shane Hagadorn) via submission||Tag team match for the ROH World Tag Team Championship||23:00|
|7||Eddie Edwards (c) defeated Christopher Daniels||Singles match for the ROH World Championship||30:12|
|No.||Chapter 2 Results||Stipulations||'Times|
|1||The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) (with Shane Hagadorn) defeated Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly||Tag team match||09:17|
|2||Colt Cabana defeated Dave Taylor (with Prince Nana, Ernesto Osiris, Princess Mia and R.D. Evans)||Singles match||06:31|
|3||Tommaso Ciampa (with Prince Nana, Ernesto Osiris, Princess Mia and R.D. Evans) defeated Homicide||Singles match||09:47|
|4||Christopher Daniels defeated Michael Elgin (with Truth Martini)||Singles match||10:18|
|5||Daizee Haze and Tomoka Nakagawa (c) defeated Ayumi Kurihara and Hiroyo Matsumoto||Tag team match for the Shimmer Tag Team Championship||07:40|
|6||The Briscoe Brothers (Jay and Mark Briscoe) defeated The All Night Express (Kenny King and Rhett Titus)||Tag team match||16:03|
|7||El Generico defeated Roderick Strong (with Truth Martini)||Singles match||16:12|
|8||Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) defeated The American Wolves (Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards)||Tag team match||32:00|
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
- "ROH News: ROH's official press release on "Center Stage" Internet PPVs scheduled for WrestleMania weekend". Pro Wrestling Torch. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- "Past Results". Ring of Honor. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "Manhattan Mayhem IV". Ring of Honor. 16 March 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- Caldwell, James (22 March 2011). "Breaking News – New ROH World champion determined at Saturday's ROH event in New York City". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- Mackinder, Matt (1 February 2011). "ROH: New TV champion crowned". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- "The hunt returns in Atlanta". Ring of Honor. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Final Battle 2010″ Rematch Signed". Ring of Honor. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Harris, Jeffrey (30 January 2011). "The Vile One's Dungeon 01.28.11: ROH – SoCal Showdown II LIVE Report". 411mania. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Druckman, Eric (20 March 2011). "3/19 ROH results in New York City: Report on Eddie Edwards's ROH Title win, Richards vs. Daniels Pure Wrestling, LAX reunion vs. Kings of Wrestling". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "The Briscoes/All Night Express brawl escalates". Ring of Honor. YouTube. 23 March 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "Video Wire 3–24–11". Ring of Honor. YouTube. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "Joshi Comes To Atlanta!". Ring of Honor. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "Women of Honor Matches Set For Atlanta". Ring of Honor. 28 March 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- Martin, Adam (28 March 2011). "Indy News #2: SHIMMER Vol. 37, 38, 39, 40 results". WrestleView. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Atlanta, GA- "Honor Takes Center Stage" April 1st". Ring of Honor. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "ROH Internet PPV Report 4/1: Caldwell & Radican's "virtual-time" coverage of live ROH PPV from Atlanta". Pro Wrestling Torch. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Atlanta, GA- "Honor Takes Center Stage" April 2nd". Ring of Honor. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "ROH Internet PPV Report 4/2: Caldwell & Radican's complete "virtual-time" coverage of live ROH PPV from Atlanta". Pro Wrestling Torch. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.