Honorary Canadian citizenship
Honorary Canadian citizenship (French: Citoyenneté canadienne honoraire) is an honour wherein Canadian citizenship is bestowed by the Governor-General-in-Council, with the approval of parliament where appropriate, on foreigners of exceptional merit. It is a symbolic honour; the recipient does not take the Oath of Citizenship and thus does not receive any rights, privileges, or duties typically held by a Canadian citizen.
To date, five people have received the honour of having permanent Citizenship. Akshay Kumar, a Bollywood celebrity also awarded the honorary ambassador Citizenship of Canada in 2011 for a year. He became responsible to endorse the Canadian Tourism by sharing the duty of Brand Ambassador till the summer of 2012
|1||Raoul Wallenberg||1985 (posthumous)||Swedish diplomat and Holocaust hero.|
|2||Nelson Mandela||2001||Anti-apartheid activist, former President of South Africa, and recipient of the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|3||Tenzin Gyatso||2006||The 14th Dalai Lama and recipient of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|4||Aung San Suu Kyi||2007||Burmese opposition leader and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize.|
|5||His Highness the Aga Khan||2010||49th Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims.|
|This article is part of a series|
|Immigration to Canada
History of immigration to Canada
Economic impact of immigration
Canadian immigration and refugee law
Immigration Act, 1976
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Permanent Resident Card
|Canadian nationality law|
|History of nationality law
Citizenship Act 1946
Oath of Citizenship
|Citizenship and Immigration Canada
"Canadians of convenience"
|Demographics of Canada|
Population by year
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada: CP7: Waivers; 1. Waivers, 1.22. Governor-in-Council directs Minister
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada; Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Indexing Terms - H
- Government of Canada Honours Canadian Honorary Citizen Raoul Wallenberg, Department of Canadian Heritage News Release, January 16, 2003
- "2001-06-12". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons)..
- "2006-06-22". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons)..
- "2007-10-17". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons)..
- "2009-06-19". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons)..
- "Mawlana Hazar Imam is made an honorary citizen of Canada". TheIsmaili.org. 22 June 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Malala Yousafzai to get honorary Canadian citizenship". CBC. October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
|This Canada-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|