Location of Hooks, Texas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||374 ft (114 m)|
|• Density||1,444.5/sq mi (557.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1359527|
Hooks is located at .(33.469439, -94.280385)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all land.
At the 2000 census, there were 2,973 people, 1,215 households, and 840 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,444.5 per square mile (557.2/km²). There were 1,345 housing units at an average density of 653.5/sq mi (252.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 84.02% White, 10.12% African American, 0.98% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.45% from other races, and 2.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.96% of the population.
There were 1,215 households of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.3% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.96.
The age distribution was 27.2% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 86.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.5 males.
The median household income was $32,083, and the median family income was $37,793. Males had a median income of $30,711 versus $20,982 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,385. About 12.1% of families and 17.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.3% of those under age 18 and 8.8% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Hooks is served by the Hooks Independent School District.
- Billy Sims, running back with the NFL Detroit Lions, 1978 Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Oklahoma, 1980 NFL Rookie of the Year
- Durwood Merrill, MLB umpire
- Jeremiah Trotter, linebacker with the NFL Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Stephen F. Austin University four-time Pro Bowler 
- Shane Halter, MLB player Kansas City Royals, New York Mets, Detroit Tigers, Anaheim Angels
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.