|— Unincorporated community —|
|Elevation||328 ft (100 m)|
Hoopa (formerly, Hupa, Ho-pah, Hoo-pah, Hupo, and Up-pa) is an unincorporated community in Humboldt County, California. It is located 10 miles (16 km) south of Weitchpec, at an elevation of 328 feet (100 m). The ZIP Code is 95546.
Hoopa is a rural town located entirely on the reservation of the Hupa. The federal designation of the area is the Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation. Hoopa is on the Trinity River. Hoopa is in the area code of 530.
The Hoopa Valley post office opened in 1861, the name was changed to Hoopa in 1895, to Hupa in 1900, and back to Hoopa in 1902.
As of the census of 2000 for the zip code 95546, there were 3040 people using Hoopa as their primary address. These figures therefore include people living in Hoopa Valley outside the town of Hoopa. The racial makeup of the area was 14.1% White, 0.1% Black or African American, 81.7% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.8% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. 4.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
See also 
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hoopa, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 78. ISBN 9781884995149.
- USPS ZIP Code lookup tool
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
|This Humboldt County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|