Hopatcong High School
|Hopatcong High School|
|2 Windsor Avenue
Hopatcong, NJ 07843
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hopatcong Public Schools|
|Asst. Principal||David Pierson|
|Faculty||51.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||638 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.31:1|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
|Rival||Lenape Valley Regional High School|
Hopatcong High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Hopatcong, in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Hopatcong Public Schools.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 638 students and 51.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.31:1. There were 102 students (16.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 58 (9.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 235th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 289th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 200th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 174th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 158th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
In the 2013-14 school year, Hopatcong High School ranked eighth in Sussex County out of nine other public high schools in SAT scores.
The Hopatcong High School Chiefs compete in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 458 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 117 to 478 students in that grade range. Prior to the 2010 realignment, the school participated in the Sussex County Interscholastic League until the SCIL was dissolved in 2009.
During 2004 the varsity cross-country team became the North I, Group II state champions. In 2005 the Boys Cross Country team placed 15th in the state at the New Jersey Meet of Champions. The same year the team successfully defended their state sectional title and placed second in Group II
The school's track team has had three consecutive undefeated seasons, from 2010 to 2012.
Hopatcong High School also maintains a variety of men's and women's sports teams including: Soccer, Cheerleading, Marching Band and Color Guard, Wrestling, Basketball, Bowling, Golf, Track and Field, Softball, Baseball and Tennis.
The school also has a drama club and pit band.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Lewis Benfatti - Principal
- David Pierson - Assistant Principal
- Joe Hewitt, software programmer best known for his work on the Mozilla Firefox web browser.
- Joe Martinek (born 1989), New Jersey high school football's all-time leading rusher with 7,589 total yards.
- Dave Yovanovits (born 1981), former NFL offensive lineman most recently of the New Orleans Saints.
- School Data for Hopatcong High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 26, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 3, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 25, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Home Page, Sussex County Interscholastic League, backed up by the Internet Archive, as of February 4, 2012. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- New Jersey Meet of Champions 2005, DyeStat. Accessed March 11, 2008.
- Staff. "3rd Perfect Season for Hopatcong Track; Capwell, Olugbenga lead Chiefs to another flawless season.", Hopatcong-SpartaPatch, May 8, 2012. Accessed October 7, 2012. "The Chiefs finished their third straight undefeated season Thursday with a road win over formidable Newton. The victory gave Hopatcong a 6-0 finish and its third consecutive Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference Freedom Division crown."
- 2005 Football - North I, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 31, 2008.
- High School Staff, Hopatcong High School. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Staff. "5 Hopatcong Grads You Need to Know: The borough has seen its share of stars, from athletes to brainiacs.", Hopatcong Patch.com, June 22, 2011. Accessed October 12, 2011. "You Need to Know About Joe Hewitt: Chances are you've seen his work without knowing it. Best known for helping create Firefox, Hewitt also played a key role in developing Facebook's iPhone app."
- Faces in the Crowd. Sports Illustrated. January 8, 2007. Accessed March 25, 2010.
- Dave Yovanovits, database Football. Accessed April 12, 2008.
- Hopatcong High School
- Hopatcong Public Schools
- Hopatcong Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Hopatcong Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics