|The Bold and the Beautiful character|
|Portrayed by||Kim Matula (2010–15)
(and child actors)
|First appearance||July 2, 2002|
|Last appearance||April 20, 2015|
|Created by||Bradley Bell|
|Introduced by||Bradley Bell|
|Book appearances||Stormswept (2014)|
Hope Logan (formerly Spencer) is a fictional character from the CBS Daytime soap opera, The Bold and the Beautiful. The character was portrayed by many child actors and actresses since Hope's birth in 2002, most notably Rachel and Amanda Pace.
She was portrayed by Kim Matula from January 11, 2010 to her departure on December 12, 2014. The character was dramatically aged. Hope is the result of an affair between Brooke Logan and Deacon Sharpe, Brooke's ex-son-in-law.
Her main storylines as an adult have revolved around relationships with half-brothers, Liam Spencer and Wyatt Spencer, a rivalry (re-creating the rivalry between her mother and Dr Taylor Hayes) with Steffy Forrester. She was also briefly involved with Oliver Jones and Thomas Forrester.
Between the years of 2002 and 2009, the character was played by child actresses, and appeared as a young girl around 5 years old by 2007. On December 4, 2009, it was announced that Hope was to be dramatically aged and portrayed by Kim Matula. Matula signed on as a contract character. Matula began taping The Bold and the Beautiful on November 19, 2009 and made her first appearance on January 11, 2010. On November 5, 2014, it was announced that after five years with the series, Matula would be departing the series. Matula taped her final scene on November 6 and made her final appearance on December 12. In March 2015, Soap Opera Digest reported news that Matula would make a return to the series, in a guest appearance as Hope. She is set to report to set on March 4, 2015. Matula returned on-screen as Hope via a Skype video chat on April 17.
The young adult character of Hope was first described as "A polar opposite of what her mother Brooke once was, Hope makes no secret of her more traditional and reserved views on sex and marriage". Matula has described Hope as "Unlucky in love". Speaking about the character's dramatic aging and her storyline, head writer Bradley Bell stated: "Aging the character of ‘Hope’ to a teenager allows us to bring the next generation of ‘Logans’ to the forefront, as well as play a broader range of the ‘Forrester’ vs. ‘Logan’ story. ‘Hope’s’ presence at Forrester Creations, as well as in ‘Brooke’ and ‘Ridge’s’ home, sparks an intense competition between ‘Hope’ and her step-sister ‘Steffy’ as well as creates new conflict between long-time rivals ‘Brooke’ and ‘Taylor’ as each woman is determined to protect her own daughter."
Hope was conceived during an affair between Brooke Logan (Katherine Kelly Lang) and Deacon Sharpe (Sean Kanan). At the time, Deacon was married to Hope's half-sister, Bridget Forrester. Hope was born at the Big Bear Cabin. Deacon signed off on his paternal rights in 2007 when RJ and Hope were taken from Brooke when she was proven to be an unfit mother by Social Services, reported by Stephanie Forrester (Susan Flannery). Nick Marone (Jack Wagner) was also a father figure for Hope when he was married to Brooke.
After the character was dramatically aged (SORASed), Hope is almost raped by a photographer by the name of Graham Derros. Nick and Aggie Jones save her from being raped. At high school (approaching graduation soon), she met a boy Oliver Jones, a DJ. He is Hope's first serious boyfriend. Instantly, the assertive Steffy takes interest in Oliver and wants to lure him away from Hope. She completes a series of events in order to humiliate Hope. At a fashion show for Forrester, she tampers with a sign taking the letters 'p' and 'e' out of Hope's name to create a sign that reads "Ho Logan". Then, at Hope's graduation party (with a mask theme), her mother has sex with Oliver, thinking it's her husband Ridge; this is revealed by a video which Steffy put together (however, it was later revealed the video was tampered by Justin Barber, who worked for Spencer Publications — who are against Forrester Creations). Despite unresolved feelings and never getting a chance with Oliver again, Hope forgives her mother. Meeting Liam Cooper, who was soon revealed to be the son of Bill Spencer, Jr., their relationship grows despite Oliver trying to win back Hope by making her jealous, by being in a relationship with Amber Moore. Their relationship later faces hardship when Amber falls pregnant after supposedly raping Liam, and Liam is thought to be the father during the whole pregnancy. Hope, unable to deal with the idea of Liam being with another woman and having a child, decides she must move on. The baby, when born, is revealed to not be Liam's.
Liam, feeling gutted and betrayed, immediately leaves to find Hope. He finds her on the rooftop where he proposed to her and tells her that he loves her and that he wants to be with her to give their initial relationship a true chance without manipulations. When they later confront Bill with what they know and what they want from him, Bill refuses to give in, reminding Liam that Steffy is his wife and that he doesn't support his attempt to reunite with Hope. Liam, however, does not take that as an answer, making up his mind that his marriage to Steffy is over.
She finds out that Quinn orchestrated her and Wyatt's marriage by pushing Ivy off the seine causing Liam to miss his chance to be with Hope. After confronting Quinn for her role and Wyatt for defending, though she also feel sympathy for him, she was determined to leave Wyatt to be with Liam again until she announced that she is pregnant and the baby is Wyatt's. She explains that she doesn't want her child to grow up with multiple fathers and have a complicated relationship like she did. She ended things with Liam for good and wants to rekindle her marriage to Wyatt now with the baby on the way.
- Michael Howard says: (2009-12-04). "Hope Logan is SORAS’d on B&B! | Michael Fairman On-Air On-Soaps | Daytime Soap Interviews, News, Updates and Previews, Video and Audio Interviews". Michaelfairmansoaps.com. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Fairman, Michael (November 5, 2014). "Kim Matula Leaving The Bold and the Beautiful!". Michaelfairmansoaps.com. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Kim Matula Last Scene on The Bold and the Beautiful!". Kim Matula's Official Instagram. November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Hope Logan's Final Day". Soaps She Knows. November 24, 2014. Retrieved November 24, 2014.
- Fairman, Michael (December 5, 2014). "Kim Matula’s Final Airdate Revealed As December 12th On The Bold and The Beautiful!". United States: Michaelfairmansoaps.com. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- SOD (March 2, 2015). "EXCLUSIVE! KIM MATULA RETURNS TO B&B!". Soap Opera Digest (United States: soapoperadigest.com). American Media. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Executive producer and Head writer: Bradley Bell (April 17, 2015). The Bold and the Beautiful. Season 28. Episode 7058. CBS.
- Somosot, Janice (April 10, 2015). "‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers From April 13-17, 2015: Brooke Plans On Stopping Quinn And Deacon's Wedding". International Business Times. IBT Media. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "Hope Logan | Character Descriptions | Bold and the Beautiful". The Bold and The Beautiful. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "Discover B&B - Hope Logan". YouTube. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "Actress Kimberly Matula Joins the B&B Cast as "Hope Logan" | News Articles | Bold and the Beautiful". The Bold and The Beautiful. Retrieved 2013-07-27.