Horasis is an independent think tank based in Zurich, Switzerland, which was established in 2005 by Frank-Jürgen Richter, its Chairman. Its stated mission is to "enact visions for a sustainable future" through new platforms for cooperation and knowledge-sharing, particularly between developed countries and emerging markets.
Horasis holds invitation-only meetings of global business leaders with a regional focus in the Middle East, China, India and Russia. Horasis has been dubbed a "world economic forum for emerging markets. In addition to the regional-focused meetings, Horasis holds an Annual Horasis Meeting in Zurich, Switzerland.
Role and Mission
Horasis is a community of business leaders. The community works principally through partnerships with corporations, governments and international organizations, often serving as an incubator for new initiatives. These meetings rotate amongst host countries stage the events. The meetings are supported by knowledge partners - selected corporations that contribute their expertise and resources to Horasis.
Horasis meetings are usually held outside the respective geographic location of the 'in-focus' nation - in a host country. The events are a means for the countries 'in focus' as guests (China, Russia, India, and the Arab world) to promote benign relations with the world and to display soft power through co-option and cooperation. The meetings are also a platform for the respective host country to engage in a policy dialogue with the guest countries. Horasis itself is not an executive agency nor related to any government - it is neutral and impartial.
The first meeting in 2010 focused on "Strategies to Overcome the Global Economic Crisis," was attended by 100 participants from 20 countries, including leaders such as Esko Aho, Alan G. Hassenfeld, Wolfgang Lehmacher, Wen Yunsong and Pramod Bhasin. The second Horasis Annual Meeting was held on 25–26 January 2011 focused on "Driving Towards Sustainable Growth"; and the third Horasis Annual Meeting over January 24–25, 2012 considered "Thriving on Risk".
In all these events participants will engage in discussions on how to make sense of the new era of risk as the periods ahead are known to be challenging and difficult to understand.
Other notable attendees at the Horasis meetings have included: Amr Moussa, Lakshmi Mittal, Guy Spier, Lord Levene, Jean-Claude Trichet, Y B Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed and Malvinder Mohan Singh (former CEO of Ranbaxy Laboratories).
Horasis also serves as a think tank and publishes a wide range of reports which distil the outcomes and observations that emerged from the meetings.
Business Leaders of the Year
Horasis awards 'Business Leaders of the Year' - outstanding entrepreneurs who have been building and leading successful global firms of Chinese, Indian, Russian or Arab origin. The awards honor the most outstanding entrepreneurs who inspire others with their vision, leadership and achievement. The award was first given in 2006. Notable recipients include: Charles Chao, president of Sina.com, Levin Zhu, who is the Chairman of China International Capital Corp, Bruno Wu and Calvin Chin, who is the founder of Qifang
- Aspen Institute
- Boao Forum for Asia
- Clinton Global Initiative
- Milken Institute
- St. Petersburg International Economic Forum
- TED (conference)
- The Conference Board
- World Knowledge Forum
- "Indian companies to benefit from EU crisis: Expert - CNBC-TV18". Moneycontrol.com. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Article: Emerging markets to the fore". Businesstoday.co.om. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Tom Redburn. "Enthusiasm Temepered With Concern, About Business in India". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Horasis Annual Meeting". Aseanaffairs.com. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism - Archived Speeches/Articles/Interviews - Global Russia Business Meeting, address by Minister of Commerce" (in Modern Greek). Mcit.gov.cy. 2011-04-11. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "The Bank of Cyprus at the Global Russia Business Meeting - Bank of Cyprus Country Cyprus". Bankofcyprus.com.cy. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Global China Business Meeting by PwC PwC Luxembourg". Pwc.com. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Jean-Claude Juncker, Discours à l'occasion du Global China Business Meeting, Luxembourg". Gouvernement.lu. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Gunjan Sinha to participate in the Horasis Summit in Naples, Italy – Press Release". Metricstream.com. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Horasis.org (2011-01-26). "Horasis Events :: Annual Meeting 2011". Horasis.org. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Horasis.org (2012-01-25). "Horasis Events :: Annual Meeting 2012". Horasis.org. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Horasis.org. "News :: Business Leader of the Year". Horasis.org. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- [dead link]
- "Roland Berger Strategy Consultants and Horasis Award "Arab Business Leaders of the Year 2010"". Benzinga. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Horasis :Global China Business Meeting". Horasis.org. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Horasis.|