Head office of Horiba in Kyoto, Japan
|Key people||Atsushi Horiba, Chairman, President & CEO ; Kozo Ishida, Dr. Eng., Executive Vice President|
|Products||Auto (emission measurement & test) systems, environmental measuring instruments, scientific & medical analytical equipment, semiconductor-industry measuring equipment -- for R&D, production testing, etc.|
|Net income||3,161 million yen in FY2009|
|Total assets||129,580 million yen in FY2009|
Horiba (堀場製作所 Horiba Seisaku-sho?) (TYO: 6856) (Google Finance) is a Japanese manufacturer of precision instruments for measurement and analysis. They make instruments that measure and analyze automobile exhaust gas, and environmental, medical and scientific applications.
Development of the company
Horiba was founded in 1945 by Masao Horiba, who graduated in nuclear physics from Kyoto University. In the early 1950s, he started mass-production of pH meters; the present company was registered in 1953. From 1959 until 2002, Hitachi was a principal shareholder, and the two companies retain close connections.
In 1972, the company established subsidiaries in America and Europe. In 1996-7, Horiba acquired two French companies: the specialist blood cell counter maker ABX SA (currently called Horiba ABX SAS) in 1996, and optical equipment maker Instruments SA (currently Horiba Jobin Yvon SAS) in 1997. In 2005, Horiba acquired German company Schenck Development Test Systems (and Schenck Pegasus), expanding the automotive market product range to include engine and driveline testing tools, including brake testing and wind-tunnel balances, and the Interautomation Group of Ontario, Canada, with its real-time pre-emptive kernel Linux-based ADACS data acquisition and control software suite.
Horiba's diversification, and establishing of overseas subsidiaries, decoupled Horiba from the stagnant Japanese industrial market, and Japanese domestic sales dropped from 62% of total sales in 1995 to 35% in 2008. The Horiba group now consists of about 42 companies, spread over about 15 countries.
As of December 31, 2009
- Head Office 2 Miyanohigashi, Kisshoin, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8510 Japan
- Paid-in Capital about 12,006 million yen (130,816,000 USD)
- Consolidated Net Sales 104,538 million yen (1,139,010,000 USD)
- Stock Listings Tokyo Stock Exchange (First Section) and Osaka Securities Exchange (First Section)
- Locations Japan, France, Germany, Austria, UK, Korea, China, India, Thailand, Singapore, Canada, USA, Brazil and more
Major office locations
- Austria Horiba (Austria) GmbH
- Brasil Horiba ABX Brasil
- Canada Horiba Automotive Test Systems Inc.
- Chennai Horiba Sutomative Test Systems Inc.
- China Horiba Instruments (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. - Horiba Trading (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- France Horiba ABX SAS - Horiba ABX International SAS - Horiba France Sarl - Horiba France Holding Sarl - Horiba Jobin Yvon SAS - Horiba Jobin Yvon International SAS - BIOPEP SAS
- Germany Horiba Automotive Test Systems GmbH - Horiba Europe GmbH - Horiba Europe Automation Division GmbH - Horiba Jobin Yvon GmbH
- India Horiba India Private Limited
- Italy Horiba Jobin Yvon Srl
- Japan Horiba, Ltd. - Horiba STEC, Co., Ltd. - Horiba Advanced Techno Co., Ltd. - Horiba Techno Service Co., Ltd. - Horiba Itech Co., Ltd.
- Korea Horiba Korea Ltd. - Horiba Automotive Test Systems Ltd. - Horiba STEC Korea, Ltd.
- Poland Horiba ABX Sp. zo. o.
- Singapore Horiba Instruments (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- Thailand Horiba ABX (Thailand) Ltd. - Horiba ABX Diagnostics (Thailand) Ltd.
- UK Horiba Instruments Limited - Horiba Jobin Yvon Ltd. - SRH Systems Ltd. - Horiba Jobin Yvon IBH Ltd.
- USA Horiba International Corporation - Horiba Instruments Incorporated - Horiba ABX Inc. - Horiba Jobin Yvon
Inc. - Horiba/STEC Incorporated - Horiba Automotive Test Systems Corp.
- Engine test stand - with information about engine testing