Horizon High School (Thornton, Colorado)
|Horizon High School|
|5321 East 136th Avenue, Thornton, Colorado
|School district||Adams 12 Five Star Schools|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Silver|
|Athletics conference||Front Range League|
Horizon High School is a public secondary institution located in Thornton, Colorado. The school was recognized by the Blue Ribbon Schools Program in 1994, 1995 and 1996. The Blue Ribbon award is considered to be the highest honor that an American school can achieve, only about 3.9% of schools nationwide have been recognized as Blue Ribbon Schools.
Horizon High School opened in 1988 to relieve crowding at Northglenn High School.
Following rapid growth in Adams County throughout the 1990s, Horizon High School quickly filled to capacity and by 1999 the campus had 20 portable classrooms outside the school's main building.
Originally, the school only had grades 10-12. The graduating class of 1998 was the first freshman class to attend the school.
Horizon's goals are simple: to provide learning programs for each individual student that fits his/her needs; to emphasize academic courses that challenge each student to grow intellectually; to teach students to think critically, master basic skills, develop healthful lifestyles and become active citizens; and finally, to install Horizon PRIDE in each and every student.
Horizon High School fields teams that compete in interscholastic competition in baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball and wrestling.
State championship titles:
- Boys' basketball: 1998 (5A)
- Girls' basketball: 1993 (6A)
- Boys' soccer: 1991 (6A), 1992 (6A), 2000 (5A)
Horizon High School is known throughout the Adams 12 District for its Drama program. The school features the second largest auditorium in the District, seating over 700 people. Since its opening in 1988, there have been almost 20 musicals performed, as well as over 44 plays and several one-acts.
Horizon High School is host to a student run newspaper, The Horizon Profile. The paper features news, features, and opinion writing styles all according to the AP style guide. The Profile is published once monthly for seven months throughout the school year. It is offered as a class that is open to all students with a writing submission at the discretion of the current staff. The Profile is a member of the Colorado High School Press Association (CHSPA) and received the best in show third place for a 5A newspaper during the 2007-2008 CHSPA Journalism Day at CSU.
Horizon High School has a myriad of exciting clubs such as Knowledge Bowl, Spanish National Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, Band, Class Leadership, National Honor Society, LINK, FBLA, DECA, Creative Writing Club, Drama, and Anime Club
SOAR Honors Program
Horizon High School is the site of the SOAR Honor Program. SOAR has existed at the school since 2008, and is a pre-collegiate program developed by Horizon High School's teachers.
- Kathie J. KS 107.5 Morning Show, Fox Everyday Show (10:00 am) 
- Chris Robinette, 1999, NCBA National Champion
- Jamie Carey, 1999, WNBA player
- John Denney, long snapper for the Miami Dolphins
- Ryan Denney, 1995, defensive end for the Buffalo Bills
- Matthew Ryan Hoge, 1992, director, The United States of Leland
- Quynh Nguyen, KUSA-TV reporter 
- Cameron Clarke Stevens, 1995, actor and singer
- Travis Henry, 1991, YourHub.com founding editor, investigative crime reporter 
- Kevin Priola, Colorado House of Representatives, District 30 (R)
- Jeremy McKinney,1994, Offensive lineman for the St Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, picked in the 11th round of the expansion draft by the Houston Texans. 
- Chuck Mindenhall, 1991, ESPN on-air analyst and writer 
- Horizon High School School Accountability Report 2005-2006 School Year. Colorado State Department of Education. December 11, 2006.
- Profile for Horizon High School. Colorado High School Activities Association.
- Harper, Craig (2004-01-27). "High School of the Week: Horizon High School". Denver Post. p. D-08.
- Udall, Rep. Mark (199-09-04). "Growth hits public schools". Denver Post. p. B-07. Check date values in:
- State Team Champions. Colorado High School Activities Association.
- Schaller, Bob (2000-04-09). "Academy again boxing champ". The Gazette.
- Latimer, Clay. "Under a nonstop watch", Rocky Mountain News, December 19, 2005.
- TEAM: Roster John Denney Profile - MiamiDolphins.com
- #92 Ryan Denney - Buffalo Bills
- Horizon Drama Alumni. Horizon High School Theatre Department.
- 9NEWS - Company - Bios - Quynh Nguyen. October 2006.
- Moore, John (2003-02-25). "Sour taste actor's intro to Big Apple". Denver Post. p. F-01.
- . October 2005.
- . January 2010.