Horizon Organic is an American company, founded in 1991, that produces organic milk products.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2012)|
Horizon Organic is the largest supplier of organic milk in North America. Its products are sold in supermarkets and grocery stores. Horizon produces organic milk on a 4,000-cow dairy in Idaho (2,400 milking cows) and an 800-cow dairy (475 milking cows) in Maryland. The company also purchases the majority of its organic milk (more than 90 percent) from more than 600 dairies in 22 states. Prior to being acquired by (now former parent company) Dean Foods, Horizon was a public company and owner of the organic dairy brands: Juniper Valley Farms, The Organic Cow of Vermont and United Kingdom brand Rachel's Organic. Horizon Organic's products are certified organic by the USDA and advertised as free of antibiotics, growth hormones and pesticides. In 2013, WhiteWave Foods (owner of the Horizon brand) became an independent company from Dean Foods.
In 2006, the Organic Consumers Association organized a boycott of Horizon Organic (and Aurora Organic Dairy), alleging that the company was not following organic standards. In August, the Cornucopia Institute filed a complaint with the USDA alleging that Horizon Organic violated National Organic Program standards in reference to the amount of time their dairy cows should spend in pasture. As a result of the boycott, one of the largest natural food cooperatives, PCC Natural Markets in Seattle, decided to discontinue Horizon Organic products from their customer offerings.
In 2009, (now former) parent company Dean Foods was sued by a group of dairymen for allegedly creating a monopoly on milk in the Southeastern U.S. In 2010 Horizon published "Organic Standards of Care" guidelines which outlines its livestock and organic dairy practices 
In 2011, a class action suit was brought against Deans Foods over health claims made on the packaging of Horizon Organic Milk.
- Lorraine Heller Horizon dairy targeted for lacking organic practices. Dairy Reporter/Food Navigator, 18 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006
- Andrew Martin Organic*. Chicago Tribune, 20 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- Mark Chediak Suppliers of organic milk draw criticism. Orlando Sentinel, 17 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- Chris Guy Shore farm accused of skirting standards. Baltimore Sun, 28 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- Melissa Allison PCC says Horizon milk will be pulled. Seattle Times, 11 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- Karen Robinson-Jacobs Big retailers want piece of organic pie. The Dallas Morning News, 19 August 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- Burnett, John. "Independent Farmers Feel Squeezed By Milk Cartel", All Things Considered, National Public Radio. 20 August 2009.
- Horizon Organic Standards of Care Horizon
- "Dean Foods sued for Horizon milk's health claims - Chicago Tribune". articles.chicagotribune.com. 2012. Retrieved March 9, 2012.