Hornellsville, New York
|Hornellsville, New York|
|• Total||43.6 sq mi (113.0 km2)|
|• Land||43.5 sq mi (112.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,198 ft (365 m)|
|• Density||95/sq mi (37/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979079|
The town was first settled around 1790 in the vicinity of the City of Hornell. The Town of Hornellsville was formed from part of the Town of Canisteo in 1820. Territory from Hornellsville was used to form the Towns of Hartsville (1844) and part of Fremont (1854).
In 1852, the community of Hornellsville set itself apart as an incorporated village and became a city (Hornell) in 1888.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 43.7 square miles (113 km2), of which, 43.5 square miles (113 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (0.41%) is water.
The Canisteo River flows southward through the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,042 people, 1,669 households, and 1,098 families residing in the town. The population density was 93.0 people per square mile (35.9/km²). There were 1,830 housing units at an average density of 42.1 per square mile (16.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.92% White, 0.52% African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.82% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 0.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.77% of the population.
There were 1,669 households out of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.6% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.2% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.2% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 22.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 88.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,932, and the median income for a family was $48,688. Males had a median income of $33,426 versus $22,193 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,803. About 4.2% of families and 8.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.7% of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Hornellsville
- Almond – The Village of Almond is on the western town line on NY-21.
- Almond Lake – A small lake northeast of Almond village.
- Arkport – The Village of Arkport is in the north part of the town on NY-36.
- Hornell – The City of Hornell, technically not part of the Town of Hornellsville.
- Hornell Municipal Airport (4G6) – A general aviation airport between Hornell and Arkport.
- North Hornell – The Village of North of Hornell is on NY-36.
- South Hornell – A hamlet south of Hornell on NY-36.
- Webbs Crossing – A location north of Hornell and by the Interstate on County Road 66.
- Thacherville – A group of houses just outside of the City of Hornell.
- Heather Heights- A group of houses on the top of a hill.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 161.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.