- 1 Fictional history
- 2 Messiah the Ultimate Horror
- 3 Garo
- 4 Byakuya no Maju
- 5 Red Requiem
- 6 Kiba
- 7 Kokuryū
- 8 Gyanon
- 9 Makai Senki
- 10 Yami o Terasu Mono
- 11 Zero: Black Blood
- 12 Notes
- 13 See also
Originally from a Demon World (魔界 Makai?), the normal variety of Horrors, called "Inga Horrors" (陰我ホラー Inga Horā?, "Yin-Self Horrors") which are grotesque black-winged skeletal demons. An Inga Horror enters the human world by being attracted to the darkness inside human beings that its kind feed on, using an object as a portal to travel from the Demon World. Those items, called Inga Gates, are objects that have a large amount of darkness from either playing a role in some sort of accumulated atrocity like mass murder or infused with dark energies. Regardless of how it is created, an Inga Gate activates when it is touched by a person with inner darkness with the emerging Horror turning that person, or any other living thing nearby, into a host body. From there, the Horror "evolves" into a unique form based on the Gate they emerged from with personal tastes and feeding habits. In some cases, taking complete control, an Inga Horror can form a symbiosis with the host to act out the human's dark desires. Regardless, a human is dead the moment an Inga Horror possesses them and what remained of the host follows the Horror in death. Though rare, there are also some unusual ones that prefer to possess objects instead of humans or living things. Unlike human-possessing Inga Horrors, they do not seem to have any preference of prey, consuming anyone who comes into close contact in one way or another instead.
Three common things in Inga Horrors are the fact that they hunt most at night, their blood can mark someone for death and increase desirability for other Horrors, and speak in a language which could be understood by either someone learned in the Makai language or a potential host, usually adopting to human language upon possession. Though Makai Knight can kill them at a regular basis, Horrors can never truly die so long as darkness exists in the hearts of men, so upon a physical death, the Horror's essence is sealed within a Makaiken until its essence is formed into a dagger that is entrusted to a Watchdog to be sent back to the Demon World. Though there is a one relieve in the Inga Lapsing Night (陰我消滅の晩 Inga Shōmetsu no ban?) that occurs once every 20 years to bar any passage, a defeated Inga Horror can return in time. But trace essences of defeated Horrors latch onto a Makai Knight and accumulate, requiring him to undergo a ritualistic purification periodically. In the case of those who bear the title of Garo, the essence Horrors the Garo user kills eventually form into a Zaji.
In the events of Yami o Terasu Mono, serving the Madō Horrors with human souls as payment, the Inga Horrors are shown to be significantly weaker than the ones during Kouga's time as they can be killed by Makai Knights at a quicker pace. Most Inga Horrors here lack proper Horror forms, most seen only in their human form even during battle.
Messiah the Ultimate Horror
Messiah (メシア Meshia?) is the originator of all Horrors from the True Demon World (真魔界 Shin Makai?) and existed since the beginning of the conflict between Makai Knights and Horrors. Messiah is the most unusual Horror because she's the only Horror that appears almost perfectly human in form, resembling a giant white-skinned half-naked woman with long-clawed fingers and unique jewelry and tattoos around her head and shoulders. Her back contains a Taoist round disc.
Though Messiah longs to enter the human realm, despite all her powers she cannot cross through without a large source of energy. After sensing Barago's desperation for power, Messiah reveals herself in a Madō Book that contains forbidden techniques. Though only a shade, Messiah offers to give Barago knowledge and power of the forbidden Makai methods in return to bring about the legend Kiba. Barago wholeheartedly agrees to give up his soul for power and Messiah proceeds to start him on his path of destroying lives to set up the conditions to summon her in her full glory through Kaoru, who is a suitable vessel due to the conditions of her age and birth. But once he fulfills his part in her summoning, removing any trace of humanity in him, Messiah absorbs Barago using Kaoru's body as a medium upon being awakened to use his power to complete the process. Her plans to reach the human world are foiled by Kouga, who enters her realm and defeats her with spiritual help from Kaoru. She is ultimately defeated when, overconfident with her powers, she runs his sword into her head and releasing Kiba in the process as she is forced back into her dormant state.
Her powers include ultra-human strength, high combat capabilities (while possessing Kaoru), magical shielding, magical energy attacks, able to summon Horrors by merely touching the ground she walks upon, and flight. The full range of her powers were never revealed, suggesting she has a larger range of combat capabilities.
These are the Horrors that appear during Garo.
- Anglay (アングレイ Angurei?, 1): The 12th Horror to appear, Anglay is a trapper able to bring artwork to life. The Horror poses as a female nude portrait within a painting until the gallery owner, Tasuke Taniyama (谷山 太輔 Taniyama Tasuke?), finds it and is possessed by it. The monster has a taste for young women, liquifying them into paint for consumption, and targets Kaoru. But Kouga's appearance forces the monster to lock down the art exhibit. In the fight with Kouga, Anglay bursts out from its host and manifests itself into a painting, gaining an acidic paint-muck exterior with a frame collar until it regresses to its original form. Garo kills it and Kaoru stained by the Horror's blood as a result. Taniyama is portrayed by Toru Minegishi (峰岸 徹 Tōru Minegishi?).
- Ishutarb (イシュターブ Ishutābu?, 2): The 13th Horror. Emerging from the "Chain Gate", it possesses the body of Azusa Kujō (九条 あずさ Kujō Azusa?), a con-woman who takes advantage of money-minded people using an IT company as a front. Using her host's plan, Ishutarb uses money to lure her victims to meet her at nighttime. From there, she would rip them to shreds with chains shooting from Kujō's body and ingest the pieces caught by her chains' links. She is about to kill Kaoru when dumb luck and Kouga stops her. During the fight, Ishutarb alters her host's form into an iron maiden-like armored form. Garo kills her in a parking lot. Kujō is portrayed by Kahori Fujii (藤井 かほり Fujii Kahori?).
- Morax (モラックス Morakkusu?, 3): A unique Horror that has no need for a human host, once said to have wiped out an entire village in one night. Possessing a time-piece, altering it into a variety of forms, Morax lures those driven by time to pick him up. Once he has a hold on his victim, by after dusk, it dehydrates the victim until only dust remains. Forced to use humans as host, Morax takes advantage of Kouga's sympathy for humans to escape. Once he captures Kaoru, Morax assumes the form of a clock tower. Though he is armed with arsenal of bladed arms, Morax is killed finally by Garo, ripped out of his vessel as it crumbles to the ground.
- Pazuzu (パズズ?, 4): A Horror that first appeared around the time Taiga was alive. He takes over the body of Ryōichi Tategami (立神 亮一 Tategami Ryōichi?), making him a miracle worker of a surgeon so Pazuzu can feed on the euphoria-enriched blood of Tategami's patients. He slices them apart with the scalpel-bladed tendrils from the back of his head, while leaving the remains for his Horror minions. To ensure he could eat without interference, he erects a barrier to put any Makai Knight at a disadvantage. Kouga has trouble until he uses Kaoru to remove the seals that power the barrier. Upon Pazuzu's last moments, he pleas to devour Kaoru as his last meal. Utterly repulsed by this idea, Garo delivers the final blow, thus ending his reign of terror. Tategami is portrayed by Taishu Kase (加勢 大周 Kase Taishū?).
- Lunarken (ルナーケン Runāken?, 5): A moth demon, possessing a woman who tries to commit suicide as the result of a man's insensitivity. She remains dormant in her zombified host until the full moon, when her bloodlust is at its zenith. During the fight, Garo realizes that the host is nothing more than a puppet composed/filled with moths. The actual Lunarken is the orb like weapon the puppet uses in its attacks. Lunarken is portrayed by Emi Kitagawa (北川 絵美 Kitagawa Emi?).
- Utoque (ウトック Utokku?, 6): A corpse-like Horror that appears in a graveyard and possesses the body of a middle-aged prostitute named Kotomi Himigawa (氷見川 琴美 Himigawa Kotomi?), making her young again and giving her a beautiful body. In return, Kotomi uses her beauty to lure men for the Horror to devour, using the eyes as a medium to suck the life out of the victim's body before he explodes. In battle, she could launch graveyard tombs to attack Kouga & Rei before Utoque takes over. Once Utoque is killed by Garo, Kotomi is fatally wounded, and begs for help. But Garo states that she is already dead because she has allowed the Horror to possess her in the first place, and her body soon disintegrates. Kotomi is portrayed by Nao Oikawa (及川 奈央 Oikawa Nao?), while her original form is portrayed by Yoshie Uehara (上原 由恵 Uehara Yoshie?).
- Moloch (モロク Moroku?, 8, 21): A Horror that is attracted to the sadness of Miri Kamisugawa (神須川 美理 Kamisugawa Miri?), a woman who killed six young men and collected their fingers after her pianist boyfriend committed suicide for being robbed of his dream. The Horror rapes/possesses her, using her intent to kill a remaining four men for their fingers while eating the rest. In its true-form, Moloch's body is two-toned (flaming on the left, icy on the right) with control over the elements of ice and fire, launching its hands to attack its enemies or kill its victims. Garo kills Moloch, with only the ring Miri had from her boyfriend remaining. Later the father of Miri, Yūki Kamisugawa (神須川 祐樹 Kamisugawa Yūki?) obtains the ring, along with the Horror's essence dagger and special bullets forged from other purified blades. Intent on revenge for his daughter, Yūki uses the bullets to create a pack of Horrors to help him kill Kouga. But after they are all killed, and he is denied death, Yūki stabs himself and became Moloch's new host. However, Yūki feels the pain that his daughter suffered and has Garo end his misery before the demon fully consumes him. Miri and Yuki are respectively portrayed by Erika (エリカ?) and Reo Morimoto (森本 レオ Morimoto Reo?).
- Humpty (ハンプティ Hanputi?, 9): A Horror that manifests from construction rubble to become a giant with strong armored body that seems invulnerable to the Garoken. Garo manages to kill him with the aid of Gōten and the Garo Zanbaken.
- Asmodai (アスモディ Asumodi?, 10): A clown-like Horror that possesses the body of an unnamed clown (道化師 dōkeshi?). Using the red nose and his puppets, Asmodai forces his victims to show "their nature", turning them against each other in a fight to the death, while laughing all the way. Once they are dead, he turns them into beach balls to ingest. He is giant-sized in his true form, using his arms for locomotion. Though he attempts to con Garo out of similar ideologies, he is killed when Zero lops off his red nose. The clown is portrayed by Yuji Nakamura (中村 有志 Nakamura Yūji?).
- Dantarian (ダンタリアン?, 11): A neon-green stag beetle Horror that possesses a con artist gambler named Reijirō Kunugi (椚 礼次郎 Kunugi Reijirō?), tricking people to play a fixed coin game and after they lost, sealed their souls inside a coin. After he takes Kaoru, he brings Kouga into his alternate realm with three games of chance to save Kaoru's soul. After the third, Dantarian assumes his true form out of rage to lower himself to physical combat and is defeated by Garo. However, the Horror sets up a final challenge for Kouga upon his death that Kouga manages to succeed. Kunugi is portrayed by Jay Kabira (川平 慈英 Kabira Jei?).
- Noul (ノウル Nōru?, 12): A Horror that appeared during Taiga's time as Garo. Possessing the body of an old toymaker (おもちゃおじさん omocha ojisan?), he befriended Kouga whom he used as a shield to protect himself from Taiga, but Taiga mortally wounded the host so that the Horror ripped itself out, resembling a reddish version of its original form, in an attempt to kill Taiga. It was from that ordeal that Kouga understood the treacherous nature of a Horror. The old toymaker is portrayed by Zenjiro (ぜんじろう Zenjirō?).
- Vuel (ヴエル Vueru?, 13): A Horror that possessed a vehicle.
- Gargoyle (ガーゴイル Gāgoiru?, 15): A Horror that takes the body of Kōhei Kuramachi (倉町 公平 Kuramachi Kōhei?), a sculptor who sold his soul to the "devil" to possess the "Hands of God" so he could create the ideal sculpture. Using his "gift", Kuramachi creates voodoo sculptures to torture his victims (young women) to death before sucking them down face first. He attempts to kill Kaoru when she hopes to learn more of her father through him, as she thinks Kuramachi had met her father. However, she finds out Kuramachi actually never met Yūji Mitsuki and was only inspired by his work. Gargoyle is killed by Zero, with a dying Kuramachi in awe of finally finding his "ideal piece" just before Zero kills him. Kuramachi is portrayed by Itsuji Itao (板尾 創路 Itao Itsuji?).
- Haru (ハル?, 17): A Horror that possesses a fish, she uses a shut-in programmer Mitsuru Tonuma (戸沼 充 Tonuma Mitsuru?) whom she befriends to get her prey, killing women dumped into her tank and taking their attributes to become more human and move about on land without trouble. Tonuma is about to feed Kaoru to Haru as the final victim when Kouga arrives and exposes Haru, and kills the weakened monster, much to Tonuma's dismay. Though tempted to kill Tonuma, Kouga manages to control his anger and only knocks him unconscious. Haru's final words, how Kouga uses Kaoru to get to her, causes a rift between Kaoru and Kouga. Haru's human form is portrayed by miko.
- 12-piece Fusion Giant Horror (12体融合巨大ホラー Jūnitai Yūgō Kyodai Horā?, 19): A Horror born from the twelve purified blades containing the invading Horrors Kouga and Rei defeated. Much larger than others, Garo and Zero are unable to defeat it. In the end, the monster is killed/absorbed by Barago.
- Bonafaltz (ボナファルツ Bonafarutsu?, 21): A skeleton gunman, created from Tochino (栩野?), a security guard for a museum owned by Yuki Kamisugawa, using one of the special bullets made from Horror essences provided by the Watchdogs, in his attempt to avenge his daughter's death on Kouga. Tochino is portrayed by Yukitomo Tochino (栩野 幸知 Tochino Yukitomo?).
Byakuya no Maju
Garo Special: Byakuya no Maju features new types of Horrors and dark forces.
Eruzu (エルズ?) is an arachnid Horror that possesses a young girl, using her host to target aggressive men. Her abilities, other than spider-related powers, include each surviving piece of her body being able to regenerate into a new Horror. This power means that Garo cannot simply cut her down and has to burn her, using his Blazing Armament technique.
Legules (レギュレイス Regyureisu?) is a Horror that has existed for over 1,000 years. The Makai community has no recorded history and his movements have no records. One thousand years ago during a solar eclipse, Legules successfully crossed through the barrier between worlds and revived his followers known as the Legules Family. Many Makai Knights and Makai Priests died that day in order to suppress the Horrors that Legules unleashed on humanity. To make sure that the catastrophe would never happen again, the Makai Priests created the Phosphorus Arrow to destroy the barrier and seal away Legules. One thousand years later, Legules manages to find another gateway to return to the human realm by assimilating a dead body to make it his own. Legules is not the usual variety of Horror, as he is seemingly demi-human and possessing elementals similar to Oni or Yokai.
He quickly begins building forces of his own by converting Horrors and a human into "his family". He then attacks Kantai in the middle of night to find the Phosphorus Arrow so that he can complete his task of reviving his family. He tries to convert everyone, including the Madōgu of each Makai Knight, to join his forces. Tsubasa's Madōgu Goruba somehow gets possessed and Legules controls his bracelet body. When the night raid fails, he transfers himself into Goruba during the day and comes when people least suspect anything wrong. Legules takes the arrow and Rin Yamagatana with him, as he needs her blood to activate the arrow.
Legules's capabilities include, and are not limited to, bodily assimilation, dark magic, immunity to regular physical attacks, human energy absorption, body transference, martial arts, ultra human strength, ultra healing, body parts that can move without attachment, and biological transfiguration. Once the eclipse begins, Legules transformed himself into his true form, a giant metallic skeleton-like Horror. In this form, he is able to transform into a bladed metal wasp. Legules is defeated when Garo throws the Phosphorus Arrow into him and destroys the barrier at the same time. With Legules destroyed, the demon family vanishes.
Aomushi (アオムシ?) is a murderer who is trying to dispose of a body that Legules takes over. Aomushi is given the chance to live by becoming a servant to him. Legules fires demonic energies from his eyes to the man's eyes, transforming Aomushi into a member of the Legules Family. Though not possessed, Aomushi counts as a Horror because he serves as an extension of Legules like those he converts. His capabilities are cloaking and being acrobatic. He eventually suffers a severe injury in combat from Tsubasa and Legules finishes him off as he has no use for him, reverting Aomushi to his original form.
Karakuri (カラクリ?) are Horrors that are changed by Legules. Legules carries with him demonic masks and transforms live Horrors into his Legules family foot soldiers. Just like regular Horrors, they are able to enter humans and take control of them. However, they seem to be unable to blend in naturally as the regular Horrors can behave like a normal person. Their movements are very mechanical and move almost like karakuri puppets. They have high regenerative capabilities, bladed weapons as arms, and seem to have a ninja-like combat method. Their combat potential and strength is not above a regular Horror, but Horrors act independently as these Horrors serve a master. They do not speak, but merely make sounds and shift their eye sockets up and down as they react to their environment. Their body parts are known to function on their own even though if dismembered. They are all destroyed as the result of Legules's death.
Demon Mirror Horror Karma (魔鏡ホラー カルマ Makyō Horā Karuma?) is one of the Apostle Horrors who lives in a mirror rather than human hosts, though she can turn a human into a Horror familiar if their darkness is great enough. She consumes human souls by showing illusions of their greatest desires, drawing them into her mirror realm and turning their bodies into piles of broken mirror shards to ingest with their souls trapped in the mirror world. Among her victims are untold numbers of Makai Knights who came to slain her, only to be defeated and devoured. Karma is able to jump from mirror to mirror if the one she is currently housed in is destroyed. The sorrows and hatreds of people consumed by her are used for her as childlike Warashi (ワラシ?) and the shadowy Mercenaries of the Demon Mirror (魔鏡の傭兵 Makyō no yōhei?). Eventually, forced to fight Garo, Karma assumes a giant mirror-shard themed harpy form while trying to convince Garo to swear loyalty to her in return for immortality. However, empowered by the fallen Makai Knights' souls within the realm, Garo destroys Karma.
Demon Tower Horror Babel (魔塔ホラー ベビル Matō Horā Bābiru?) is one of the Apostle Horrors, a gigantic bull-like beast with a large headpiece resembling a guillotine with a blindfolded, naked human female form mounted on its front. The blade of the headpiece, tethered by the chains running through the Horror's body, can be launched. Unlike other Horrors, Babel is a cannibal and feeds on its own kind, posing as an infant in a carriage before being found out and destroyed by Garo.
Kurusu (クルス?) is a Horror under Karma. Originally an elderly painter named Kenichi Kurusu (来栖 謙一 Kurusu Ken'ichi?), Kurusu was driven mad by the death of his lover, Shion. He eventually snaps and kills a girl he was using as a model for a painting, trying to emulate Shion onto her. Karma, hearing his anguish, transforms him into a Horror, restoring his youth, and revives the said girl's corpse in Shion's image. In his human form, Kurusu fights with a large sword, holding it in a reverse grip. His Horror form is a large, skeletal creature composed half of bone and half of a fleshy substance. Finding Shion dead, Kurusu goes after the Kouga and Rekka while refusing to accept his love for the girl is a lie before being destroyed by Garo.
Shion (シオン?) is a Horror under Karma. In reality, she is a Horror created from the corpse of a girl Kurusu murdered prior to his transformation and altered to resemble the real Shion who died long ago. Her Horror form is not monstrous like most, only possessing a single white wing and an angelic outfit. She is killed by Rekka, her body lasting long enough for Kurusu to find before it dissolves into feathers.
Baul (バウル Bauru?) is a Horror that posed as a woman, who carried around the Apostle Horror Babel. She is killed by Rekka.
These are the Horrors that appeared in Kiba Gaiden.
Garius and Blade
Kokuryū (哭竜?) is a dragon-like Horror that exists within the mind of Barago in Kiba Gaiden and exists in a space produced by Sigma Fudō in Makai Senki.
Gyanon (戯阿音(ギャノン)?) is one of strongest Horrors in existence, labeled as Messiah's Fang (メシアの牙 Meshia no Kiba?) and the Ancient Red Demon Beast (太古の赤き魔獣 Taiko no Akaki Majū?). Having seemingly died, the Makai Senate sent a group of three Makai Knights and one Makai Guide to retrieve the monster's corpse from Amber Rock Valley. However, Barago also sought the Horror and Gyanon was no where to be found by either party. It is revealed in Makai Senki, that Sigma Fudō had stolen Gyanon as he intends to utilize the Horror in powering up his Magōryū Idea while reviving the fiend with large numbers of human sacrifices. To achieve this goal, Sigma obtains the pelt of a Spirit Beast to ensure the revived Gyanon is under his complete control while infusing Kouga's body and soul into the Horror to complete his resurrection. Though Kouga is freed, Gyanon awakens after Idea's creation in response to Sigma's darkness, devouring him and assimilating the ultimate Gōryū while assuming his androgynous human-like form. While telling Garo that his resurrection was unplanned, Gyanon intends to take advantage to bring all Horrors into the human world. However, Idea is destroyed with the Makai Knights and Madou Priests joining forces with Gyanon reduced to a head as Garo destroys the bodiless Horror.
These are the Horrors that appear in Garo: Makai Senki.
- Cigarein (シガレイン Shigarein?, 1): A tricky Cigarette Horror (煙草ホラー Tabako Horā?) that inhabits an antique cigarette lighter owned by a murderous military officer, his method of feeding being to invoke internal combustion in his victims and swallow the airborne ashes. Cigarien's lighter eventually ends up in the possession of Eiichi Anan (阿南 英一 Anan Eiichi?), a petty crook who makes an enemy out of a mob boss named Katagiri by stealing his money. Making Anan an offer to save him in return for his soul, Cigarein possesses the man before slaughtering Katagiri and his entourage. Cigarein then proceeds to devour those who are considered to be scum of society before being found by Kouga. Though he repeatedly tries to weasel out of his fight with Kouga, Cigarein is forced to assume his true war-themed armored form before Garo cuts him down. Anan's soul endures a bit before Garo stabs the soul into oblivion. Anan is portrayed by Naoto Takenaka (竹中 直人 Takenaka Naoto?).
- Luzagin (ルーザギン Rūzagin?, 2): A Streetlight Horror (街灯ホラー Gaitō Horā?) that inhabits a streetlight in an area once used for unsavory executions, able to use heat and light in her attacks. Luzagin possesses the body of Shino Ichikai (一貝 志乃 Ichikai Shino?), a vain yet dirty homeless woman who desires handsome men to the point of murdering them so she can have them. Acting on Ichikai's desires, Luzagin goes to captures ideal men, mutilating their bodies before freeze-drying them to add to her collection. However, she has strict physical requirements on who makes it to her collection, and devours through their shadows those who do not "pass". She eventually fights Kouga, forced to assume her true form before being cut down and left to die from the fatal wound. Ichikai is portrayed by Reona Hirota (広田 レオナ Hirota Reona?).
- Melgis (メルギス Merugisu?, 3): A Horror that is terrorizing the road by murdering those who travel through a tunnel. He is destroyed by Reo with the Gōryū Colt.
- Evil Wheel Gōryū (邪輪号竜 Jarin Gōryū?, 3): Reo's Gōryū Colt which he uses to destroy the Horror Melgis. However, wounded during the fight, some of Reo's blood ends up on Colt and awakens its Horror-based instinct as it possesses a motorcycle and enhances it with multiple weapons. Eventually, Garo manages to destroy the Horror core and forces Colt out of the motorcycle.
- Genojika (ゲノジカ?, 4): A bird-based Horror that possesses the body of a gambler named Kid (キッド Kiddo?), using his host to invite various gamblers to an underground casino on an island maintained by his Horror familiars. There, he has the gamblers play a life-and-death poker game where he uses his Joker card to sent his victims into a limbo, where he can eat at his leisure along with those dear to the victim if they borrow chips from the house. However, posing as one of the guests, Kouga destroys the Joker card to release those among the victims still living and then the Horror himself. Kid is portrayed by Kohei Murakami (村上 幸平 Murakami Kōhei?).
- Death Hole (デスホール Desu Hōru?, 5):[Note 2] A venus flytrap-headed Gate Horror (ゲートホラー Gēto Horā?) that emerges from a gate that manifests from a manhole cover which was manufactured by Kōji Kijima (黄島 宏二 Kijima Kōji?), an artistic metal caster who left his wife Mayumi (真弓?) to die under a manhole prior to the cover's creation. Possessing the body of a woman, and converting her host into the shaded woman in black (黒服の女 kurofuku no onna?), Death Hole uses Kijima to mass-produce more of the manhole covers to bring more of her kin into the world. However, while Death Hole meets her end against Garo, Kijima faces his own horrific end at the hands of his wife's specter. Kijima is portrayed by Takeshi Nadagi (なだぎ 武 Nadagi Takeshi?), while the woman in black is portrayed by Hiromi Eguchi (江口 ヒロミ Eguchi Hiromi?).
- Erinnerung (エリンネルグ Erinnerugu?, 6):[Note 3] A Horror that inhabits a tree which Osamu Shōnai (庄内 治 Shōnai Osamu?) and his wife Naoe (直恵?) grew from a seed that they found among the belongings of their son Masato (眞人?), a wartime photographer who was killed in action. The two proceed to invite people who pass by into their house for a meal. They then poison their guests and bury them under the tree which casts an illusion of "Masato" under the moonlight which acts on the couple's stronger memory of him. Rei is invited for dinner and later poisoned as well. However, immune to poison, Rei confronts Erinnerung as it personally attacks him and kills the Horror with the couple heartbroken. Erinnerung is voiced by Yukari Okuda (奥田 ゆかり Okuda Yukari?).
- Rebecca (レベッカ Rebekka?, 8): A Horror that possesses the body of a security guard before being slain by Zero.
- Kagemitsu (カゲミツ?, 8): A Horror that inhabits a katana, originally owned by a man named Ukyō (右京?) who was turned into a Horror familiar. But one day, a skilled swordsman named Jūzō Igari (猪狩 重蔵 Igari Jūzō?) finds Ukyō and cuts him down. Having seen a Makai Knight in his youth, yet unaware of his identity, Jūzō had made it his life's goal to search for an opponent like that figure. But suffering from an illness and have little time left to live, Jūzō accepts Kagemitsu's offer of a second chance in life in return to give him the blood of living people. It takes the Horror several centuries to heal Jūzō, placing the samurai in suspended animation before reviving him in the modern era. However, as he follows bushidō, Jūzō is disappointed that he cannot find someone strong to fight with until he finds Rei by chance and challenges him. But as Kagemistu refuses to allow him to use the sword until he draws blood, Jūzō is forced to fight Rei with makeshift bokkens made from broomsticks. The duel cannot be truly concluded as Jūzō's symptoms resurface and Rei admits defeat, with Jūzō learning fully of the Makai Knights from Kagemitsu as the Horror demands blood if the human wants his help to maintain his health as well as using his sword. Still refusing to cut any innocent down to honor his pact, Jūzō commits seppuku instead to quench the blade's thirst, along with absorbing the horrified Kagemitsu, becoming his host. Surprisingly, as noted by Silva, Jūzō remains in control of his body as he forces Rei to resume their duel as Horror and Makai Knight, though Rei sees that the samurai had potential to become a Makai Knight, due to the surprising fact of being able to pick up one of Rei's swords without trouble despite having never touched Soul Metal before. Jūzō is eventually slain, dying with satisfaction that he was defeated by the blade of one stronger than him. But learning of Kouga as an even stronger fighter, Jūzō hands Rei his wakizashi before turning into ash. Igari is portrayed by Kohei Otomo (大友 康平 Ōtomo Kōhei?) and Kagemitsu is voiced by Rintarō Nishi (西 凛太朗 Nishi Rintarō?).
- Agturus (アグトゥルス Aguturusu?, 9): A Horror that inhabits a makeup box, altering appearances to whatever suits him. Agturus possesses the body of Ryūnosuke Takamine (高峯 龍之介 Takamine Ryūnosuke?), an aged frail janitor at a theater who was once a star stage actor in the play The Sword of Arcite. His frustration over a flamboyant actor ruining the play as the lead attracts the Horror. After being possessed with his youth restored, Ryūnosuke devours the other actor and takes the stage for his own. Kouga eventually buys all the tickets to one of his plays one night to have a showdown with him, eventually cutting him down. Takamine is portrayed by Mayo Kawasaki (川崎 麻世 Kawasaki Mayo?).
- Zuformer (ズフォーマー Zufōmā?, 10): A serpentine Spacetime Horror (時空ホラー Jikū Horā?) that flies at fast speeds. Sent to kill it, Kouga is forced to wait the Horror out before slaying it.
- Yashaul (ヤシャウル Yashauru?, 12): A Horror that appears at the site of a traffic accident where she possesses the nearby dead body of Toshiko Hoshikawa (星川 敏子 Hoshikawa Toshiko?), a pâtissière who was forcing her daughter Misao (ミサオ?) to follow in her footsteps. When Misao attempts to commit suicide to escape the pressure, Toshiko sacrifices herself to stop her daughter prior to being possessed. Using Toshiko's body, Yashual assumes her host's identity and uses Misao's guilt to manipulate her. The Horror is eventually found and slain by Rei, though the deed pained him a bit as he is forced to leave Misao heartbroken. Toshiko Hoshikawa is portrayed by Yōko Ishino (いしの ようこ Ishino Yōko?), while Misao is portrayed by Nako Mizusawa (水沢 奈子 Mizusawa Nako?).
- Raizon (ライゾン?, 15): A Horror from Kouga's childhood, who devoured the friends he made during his training under Wataru Shijima. In the present day, Kouga crosses paths with Raizon and avenges his friends' deaths by slaying Raizon personally.
- Sedinbale (セディンベイル Sedinbeiru?, 17): An ancient Horror who can use word characters in her abilities and attacks, using printed words as gates. Due to her vast Makai-related knowledge, Sedinbale is sealed with a Madō Book instead of being destroyed so Makai Priests can gain access to her knowledge. However, breaking Sedinbale's seal, the red-masked man has the Horror help him translate the old Makai script in his possession before allowing the Horror to act on her whim. Being pursued by Rekka and Kouga, Sedinbale takes the body of a young woman who surrounds herself in depraved words before targeting Kaoru. Revealing Kouga's condition with Kaoru present, Sedinbale battles Garo and Rekka before they manage to rip the main character from the Horror's body and seal it into a Madō Book. The possessed woman is portrayed by Asami (亜紗美?).
Yami o Terasu Mono
- Bride (花嫁 Hanayome?, 1): The Bride is portrayed by Miku Sano (佐野 光来 Sano Miku?).
- Palkeira (パルケイラ Parukeira?, 3): A large Horror that has gorged on so many humans that it is trapped underground, using one of its two disembodied hands into Naked Woman (全裸の女 Zenra no Onna?) as an effective lure. The Naked Woman is portrayed by Yukiko Suoh (周防 ゆきこ Suō Yukiko?).
- Danda (壇田?, 4, 5): A man who becomes the vessel of a Horror that emerges from a radio. Danda is portrayed by Namihei Koshige (こしげ なみへい Koshige Namihei?).
- Yuya (ユーヤ Yūya?, 6): An overweight Horror who is normally weak until exposure to Shin's music gives him a power boost. Yuya is portrayed by Katsuya (勝矢?)
- Man (8): The man is portrayed by Makoto Ito (伊藤 慎 Itō Makoto?).
- Miho Toyama (遠山 未歩 Tōyama Miho?, 10): A teacher who became the vessel of a Horror that devours students periodically, sparing only those she considers promising. However, Ms. Toyama is forced to consume Haruka Kitajima and her family when the girl witnesses her true form. With the aid of Haruka's classmate Hiroki Tsuboi, Ryuga slays Ms. Toyama with her death covered up. Ms. Toyama is portrayed by Nao Nagasawa (長澤 奈央 Nagasawa Nao?).
- Boara (菩阿羅?, 11): A Horror in the service of the Kaneshiro Group who is based at the nightclub Paradaice. Able to read the minds of others and assume the form of what they desire, Boara lulls her victims into a moment of weakness and turns them into a vapor she consumes. Her victims are mostly men who the Kaneshiro Group are disposing of before Ryuga and Rian destroy Boara and her business. Boara is portrayed by Nao Oikawa (及川 奈央 Oikawa Nao?), while her naked young woman, mature woman, and plump woman forms are portrayed by Mana Sakura (紗倉 まな Sakura Mana?), Kyoko Hayami (速水 今日子 Hayami Kyōko?), and Naru Nashio (なしお 成 Nashio Naru?).
- Maki (万樹?, 14): A violinist who became the vessel of a Horror that devoured an opera singer before being found and killed by Takeru and Aguri. Maki is portrayed by Hirotsugu Imamura (今村 浩継 Imamura Hirotsugu?).
- Karen (華漣?, 20): Tousei Kaneshiro's mother, a fallen Makai Priestess who was left to care for her child after her lover Kensui Kaneshiro abandoned them. Becoming a Vol City resident, Karen raised Tousei to believe that he is destined for greater things. However, while entertaining her guests, Karen ends up being possessed by a Horror that her teenage son deliberately summoned into their home. Karen is portrayed by Makoto Togashi (冨樫 真 Togashi Makoto?).
"Madō Horrors" (魔導ホラー Madō Horā?, "Heretic Horrors") are a unique form of Horror first created by Zedom by infusing human bodies with Horror Seeds, which germinate into Madō Horror Plants that spread across the body. As a result, unlike regular Horrors, Madō Horrors are born directly within the bodies of humans regardless if they have an innate darkness or not, willing or otherwise. Though bound to serve Zedom, Madō Horrors also answer to anyone who sires them as loyal servants in Zedom's absence. The personality of the sired human is retained to an extent, but warped in a way to suit to its master's needs, allowing Madō Horrors to adapt more easily than Inga Horrors with the need to feed a secondary priority. The need varies from one person to another, some might feed constantly while others only do so when they need to fight better or heal damage. This also enables them to hide from the usual means of Horror detection, Makai Knights and Makai Priests are forced to use investigative deduction to hunt Madō Horrors before developing a specific device that exposes a Madō Horror's red eyes and lined face markings to confirm their identity. Unlike most Inga Horrors that devour human bodies, Madō Horrors rip the soul of a human and devour it with the body turning to dust. In a fight, Madō Horrors can create weapons from parts of their bodies and are stronger than Inga Horrors. The process of Madō Horrors being sired varies on their inner strength, which can be quicken to a certain extent with Zedom's Requiem. Due to the possibility of being sired without consciously knowing it, the turned humans can be blissfully unaware of the transformation until their powers awaken by their first feeding. Ultimately, because of their origins as innocents, Madō Horrors are as much as victims as those they consume.
During the events of Yami o Terasu Mono, using them to create a shadow empire within Vol City, Tousei creates his Madō Horror minions from the Madō Horror Plants resulting from forcing Hakana to germinate Madō Horror Plants from the Zedom Seeds seeded within her by accident from Zedom's Arm. However, Hakana altered the batch of Madō Horror Plants inside her for the purpose of restoring the Garo armor. As a result of singing enhancing them and the armor's restoration, these stronger Madō Horrors can only be killed by one with the title of Garo. However, other than Ryuga seeing Hakana's memories, there is adverse effect from killing these Madō Horrors one by one as the armor temporary regains its glow while rendered unwearable for the moment. It was once all Madō Horrors are slain that the Garo armor is restored to its original state.
- Masahiko Washizu (鷲頭 正彦 Washizu Masahiko?, 2): The manager of Kaneshiro Real Estate, tending to only use his Horror powers whenever dealing with someone proving to be a hassle. Though killed by Ryuga, a scale from Washizu's body ends up in the possession of a youth named Shin who used it as a guitar pick before Ryuga destroys it. Washizu is portrayed by Junichi Haruta (春田 純一 Haruta Jun'ichi?).
- Hideyuki Shiranami (白波 秀行 Shiranami Hideyuki?, 7): The manager of Vol City's Immigration Bureau who desires to make others happy, bringing people accepted by the city to a manor in Vol City's Dream Garden Hills community where they are devoured by the Horrors residing there. Shiranami almost fed the Suzuki family to his familiars before the Makai Knights intervening with Ryuga and Takeru slaying the Horror. Shiranami is portrayed by Kenji Mizuhashi (水橋 研二 Mizuhashi Kenji?).
- Tsumazaki (妻崎?, 13): The manager of Kaneshiro Foods' factory who has a warped work mentality, Tsumazaki is charge of a method by his kin where human souls can be stored within capsules to be ingested later. Wounded by Aguri, Tsumazaki is slain by Garo. Tsumazaki is portrayed by Hideaki Kusaka (日下 秀昭 Kusaka Hideaki?).
- Councilor (議員 Giin?, 13): A Vol City councilor, the first of the Madō Horrors to be hunted down. Though Aguri's arrows had no effect on him, the Councilor is decapitated by Garo before finally destroyed. The councilor is portrayed by Yoshinori Okamoto (岡本 美登 Okamoto Yoshinori?).
- Doctor (医者 Isha?, 13): A doctor of Vol City's central hospital, he is slain by Garo when he felt into a trap that he, Rian, and Takeru set up. The doctor is portrayed by Yujiro Komura (小村 裕次郎 Komura Yūjirō?).
- Hyena (ハイエナ Haiena?, 14): Originally known as Kaga Kaneshiro, he worked as a psychologist in the east district before being turned into a Madō Horror by his brother Tousei. Forced to flee to the graveyard after being stripped of his ability to speak, Kaga came to be known as the deranged grave keeper Hyena due to being forced to feed on remnant human souls to survive. Hyena also becomes one of Vol City's urban legends as those who see him were said to fall ill in three days and die three days later. When Ryuga and Rian find him, the latter restoring his voice, Hyena acts as a pervert to get Ryuga alone while lying of wanting to be human again. From there, revealing Zedom while hiding his true identity and that of his brother as the Madō Horrors' leader, Hyena sends Aguri and Takeru on a suicide mission while managing to restrain Ryuga. However, tricking Hyena at the last second, Ryuga dons the Garo armor and destroys the Madō Horror. Hyena is portrayed by Dankan (ダンカン?).
Zedom (ゼドム Zedomu?) is an Ancient Horror, labeled as the Battle Commander of Slaughter (殺戮の闘将 Satsuriku no Tōshō?), whose body is composed of various blocks and alter themselves into weapons. Zedom created the first Madō Horrors in order to create the most powerful Horror army to conquer the world. However, Zedom is defeated by the Makai Priests of old with his body broken into pieces and each part sealed at various locations, with his head buried under the site of Vol City with the Goddess Statue erected, through the sacrifice of large numbers of Makai Priests, to keep the Horror imprisoned. The seeds from his body parts were used to create Madō Horrors that were entrusted to the Makai Priests who sealed the Horror, with two Makai Priestesses enacting a ritual where they open the Hill of Zedom's Arm's seals long enough to painfully absorb a Zedom seed and grow a Madō Horror Plant from which Soul Metal is developed from. Though sealed, Zedom retained consciousness and witnessed the Makai Knights' birth, resulted in his resentment of the Makai Order for using his body parts to develop weapons used against his kind.
Due to Tousei's actions fifteen years prior, Zedom's arm briefly emerged from the corrupted seal it was trapped in, infusing Hakana with more seeds than initially intended and knocked her out. When he attempts to harvest a new supply of seeds from the Horror's head for Rian to absorb, Tousei ends up awakening Zedom when one of the seeds accidentally falls back into the seal. As a result, Zedom begins to destroy the Goddess Statue in order to break free from his prison while having Sonshi acquire a Makai Knight to serve as his new body. Taking the lifeless Sonshi after he was killed as a vessel and altering it into a militant dressed form, Zedom attempts to recruit the Makai Knights in serving him before resolving to remake the world in his image. Although he is incredibly powerful, Zedom inadvertently created a weak spot within himself when he destroyed Burai when he offered himself as a host to stop the Horror. Further weakened by a special arrow fired by Aguri into the said spot, Zedom is destroyed by the Makai Knights under the Garo armor's influence.
Zero: Black Blood
Ring (リング Ringu?) is a powerful Horror who appears as a handsome Caucasian man dressed immaculately and predominantly in white, and speaks very articulately and politely. Unlike most of his kind, Ring does not seek to destroy or conquer humankind. He seeks instead to co-exist with humans, through the creation of a sanctuary community where humans are offered escape from the outside world and bliss provided, with the price of which being solely a 2% risk of being turned into a Blood Dolce for fellow Horrors within the community to consume, though he himself never partakes. This is done by giving out pills to humans within the community periodically, which every human within must ingest and one of which is a crystallization of Horror blood while the others are mere nutrient pills, thus effectively keep the Horrors within the community from overfeeding, get detected and slain by Makai Knights, while rendering the humans as docile livestock. He resolved to bring Iyu into his fold after listening to her song for first time, both because he had fallen in love with her song, as well as needing something to keep the humans in his community calm, which he succeeded later when Iyu was blinded and fell into a river after protecting Yuna from a Horror. His possessiveness of Iyu is so strong that aside from having her by his side most of the time, he would end a fight to his advantage, just because Iyu shows up unexpectedly and can potentially get caught in the crossfire.
Despite being a Horror, Ring finds violence distasteful and does not understand why humans have to fight Horrors, and why there are no humans willingly giving themselves up as food to preserve the majority, as the alternative would be easier and more peaceful for humanity than having to fight his kind. As such, he sees his ideals to be a far better alternative to the existing relationship between Horrors and humans, and gets angry whenever someone insults his community. Ring laments that even within his community, there is not a single human who understands his ideals and all think only about themselves.
Though Ring usually opts to talk things out instead of fighting, he is nonetheless a powerful fighter. His weapons are the feathers conjured from his body, serving as a variety blades to means of flight and teleportation. He can disassemble himself into feathers and reassemble back into human form at will, and when the circumstances call for it, he can also conjure a feather-themed sword for combat. Ring's true form is a gigantic white bird-like skeletal Horror, sporting bird-like claws and truly feathered wings. This is a form assumed only when he is truly angry and disappointed, so much so that he loses control of himself. Ring devours Iyu after acknowledging that he lost her to her daughter, preferring to keep her as part of him if he cannot have her by his side. He is eventually slain by Zero, with help from Yuna.
- In the book GARO - Red Requiem - Makai no Sho R, it is revealed that the other five Apostle Horrors are Demon Dust Horror Daroda (魔塵ホラー ダロダ Majin Horā Daroda?), Demon Thunder Horror Bakugi (魔雷ホラー バクギ Marai Horā Bakugi?), Demon Paper Horror Pulc (魔紙ホラー パルク Mashi Horā Paruku?), Demon Needle Horror Nedle (魔針ホラー ニドル Mashin Horā Nidoru?), and Demon Sound Horror Unizo (魔音ホラー ユニゾ Maon Horā Yunizo?), and the seven Apostle Horrors were destroyed in two months by Kouga Saezima.
- In the ending credits, it is credited as Terubo (テルボ?).
- In the ending credits, it has a subtitle of Makai Tree.