Horse of a Different Color (Big & Rich album)
|Horse of a Different Color|
|Studio album by Big & Rich|
|Released||May 4, 2004|
|Recorded||Dark Horse Recording Studio|
|Big & Rich chronology|
|Singles from Horse of a Different Color|
Horse of a Different Color is the debut album by the American country music duo Big & Rich. It was released in 2004 on Warner Bros. Records and it contains the hit singles "Wild West Show", "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)", "Holy Water", and "Big Time". Respectively, these reached No. 21, No. 11, No. 15, and No. 20 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts. The album was certified 3× Multi-Platinum by the RIAA for shipments of three million copies. This album was released in several variants, including blue, red, gold and holiday colors.
Horse of a Different Color features several guest musicians, primarily members of the MuzikMafia, the collaborative singer-songwriter group that Big & Rich founded. Country rap artist Cowboy Troy is featured on the lead-off track "Rollin' (The Ballad of Big & Rich)", and makes an uncredited guest appearance at the end of "Kick My Ass". Gretchen Wilson provides background vocals on "Saved", and Jon Nicholson on "Love Train". The only guest musician who is not a MuzikMafia member is Martina McBride, who provides backing vocals on the final track, "Live This Life". Big Kenny and John Rich, who comprise the duo, co-wrote all the tracks on the album, and co-produced it with Paul Worley.
Four singles were released from this album. Lead-off single "Wild West Show" peaked at No. 21 on the Billboard country charts in early 2004. Following it was "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)", which peaked at No. 11 and was certified platinum by the RIAA as a single. The third single release, the No. 15 "Holy Water", was inspired by Big Kenny's and John Rich's sisters, both victims of domestic abuse. "Big Time" was the final single, reaching No. 20 in mid-2005.
|1.||"Rollin' (The Ballad of Big & Rich)" (featuring Cowboy Troy)||Big Kenny, John Rich, Cowboy Troy||4:52|
|2.||"Wild West Show"||Kenny, Rich, Blair Daly||4:23|
|3.||"Big Time"||Kenny, Rich, Angie Aparo||3:56|
|4.||"Kick My Ass" (featuring Cowboy Troy (uncredited))||Kenny, Rich, Bryan Wayne||5:01|
|5.||"Six Foot Town"||Kenny, Rich||3:50|
|6.||"Holy Water"||Kenny, Rich, Vicky McGehee, Jeff Cohen||4:19|
|7.||"Saved" (background vocals: Gretchen Wilson)||Kenny, Rich, John Phillips||4:51|
|8.||"Real World"||Kenny, Rich, Adam M. Shoenfeld||5:05|
|9.||"Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)"||Kenny, Rich||3:22|
|10.||"Drinkin' 'bout You"||Kenny, Rich||2:56|
|11.||"Love Train" (background vocals: Jon Nicholson)||Kenny, Rich, Jon Nicholson||3:49|
|12.||"Deadwood Mountain"||Kenny, Rich||5:10|
|13.||"Live This Life" (background vocals: Martina McBride)||Kenny, Rich||5:33|
As listed in liner notes.
Big & Rich
- Brian Barnett – drums
- Steve Brewster – drums
- Dennis Burnside – keyboards
- Owen Hale – drums
- Mike Johnson – steel guitar
- Wayne Killius – drums, shaker, peanut can
- Duncan Mullins – bass guitar
- Matt Pierson – bass guitar
- Michael Rojas – keyboards
- Adam Shoenfeld – electric guitar
- Nicole Summers – flute on "Wild West Show"
- Justin Tocket – bass guitar
- Paul Worley – "Yeehaw juice" on "Kick My Ass"
- Jonathan Yudkin – fiddle, banjo, mandolin, harp
All strings performed, composed, and arranged by Jonathan Yudkin.
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||1|
|U.S. Billboard 200||6|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|2003||"Wild West Show"||21||85||—|
|2004||"Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)"||11||56||87|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Horse of a Different Color review". Allmusic. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- Willman, Chris (May 14, 2004). "Horse of a Different Color review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- "Horse of a Different Color". Country Weekly. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- Big & Rich's Debut CD Certified Triple Platinum
- Horse of a Different Color (CD). Warner Bros. Records. 2004. 48520.
- Horse of a Different Color (Big & Rich album) at AllMusic
- "Big & Rich Album & Song Chart History (Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2010.
- "Big & Rich Album & Song Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2010.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts - German Singles". Hung Medien. Retrieved May 20, 2011.
- "Gold & Platinum Search - Canadian Recording Industry Association". Music Canada. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum - August 14, 2010: Big & Rich certified singles". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 14, 2010.
- "Canadian album certifications – Big & Rich – Horse of a Different Color". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Big & Rich – Horse of a Different Color". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
License to Chill by Jimmy Buffett
|Top Country Albums number-one album
September 4–10, 2004
Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw