Horses and High Heels
|Horses and High Heels|
|Studio album by Marianne Faithfull|
|Released||31 January 2011 (EU)
7 March 2011 (UK)
28 June 2011 (US)
|Recorded||September - October 2010|
|Genre||Rock/ Blues/ Jazz|
|Marianne Faithfull chronology|
Horses and High Heels is the 19th solo album release by British singer and songwriter Marianne Faithfull.
The 13 track album was released on 31 January 2011 in continental Europe and on 7 March 2011 in the UK on the Dramatico record label. It was released in the United States on 28 June 2011 via the French Naïve Records label.
"Why Did We Have To Part?" was released as a single from the album.
Background and context
Recorded in the New Orleans French Quarter in September and October 2010, the album features cover versions of 1960s classics and seven new songs, four of which were co-written by Faithfull herself. One of the new songs, "The Old House", was specially written for her by Irish playwright Frank McGuiness. There are two cameo appearances on guitar from Lou Reed with further cameos from Dr. John and MC5's Wayne Kramer. The album was produced by long-term collaborator Hal Willner.
- "The Stations" (Greg Dulli, Mark Lanegan) 4:24
- "Why Did We Have To Part" (Laurent Voulzy, Faithfull) 3:45
- "That’s How Every Empire Falls" (R.B. Morris) 5:51
- "No Reasons" (Jackie Lomax) 2:51
- "Prussian Blue" (David Courts, Faithfull) 5:03
- "Love Song" (Lesley Duncan) 4:37
- "Gee Baby" (J.J. Johnson, Mary Alma Baker, Sylvia Robinson, Tyler T. Texas) 2:49
- "Goin' Back" (Carole King, Gerry Goffin) 3:41
- "Past Present and Future" (Arthur Butler, George "Shadow" Morton, Jerry Leiber) 2:46
- "Horses and High Heels" (Doug Pettibone, Faithfull) 3:52
- "Back in Baby’s Arms" (Allen Toussaint) 4:19
- "Eternity" (Doug Pettibone, Faithfull) 4:03
- "The Old House" (Frank McGuiness, Leo Abrahams) 4:04
|Austrian Albums Chart||68|
|Dutch Mega Albums Chart||78|
|French Albums Chart||37|
|Swedish Albums Chart||34|
|Swiss Albums Chart||26|
|UK Indie Chart||16|
- Ghansan, Rachel Kaadzi (August 4, 2011). "Marianne Faithfull: Horses and High Heels". Rolling Stone (1136): 77.
- Austrian Charts
- Dutch MegaCharts
- French Albums Chart
- swedishcharts.com - Marianne Faithfull - Horses and High Heels
- Marianne Faithfull - Horses and High Heels - hitparade.ch
- UK Indie Charts Archive