January 18, 1966 |
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film director|
Hossein Amini (Persian: حسین امینی , born January 18, 1966 in Tehran, Iran) is an Iranian-British screenwriter and film director. Amini has worked as a screenwriter since the early 1990s. He was nominated for numerous awards for the 1997 film The Wings of the Dove, including an Academy Award for Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay. He is writing and directing The Two Faces of January in his directorial debut.
Hossein Amini was born in Iran, and when he was 11 years old, he and his family moved to England.
Amini's first screenplay was for the 1994 TV movie The Dying of the Light, which was directed by Peter Kosminsky. The TV movie covered the murder of Sean Devereux, an aid worker who was murdered in Somalia in 1993 for criticizing arms sales. It was nominated "Best Single Drama" at the British Academy Television Awards. Amini also wrote an adapted screenplay of the 1895 novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. Producer Andrew Eaton commissioned the screenplay in 1995, and it was filmed by Michael Winterbottom as Jude, released in 1996. Amini also wrote a screenplay for another TV movie, Deep Secrets, which aired in 1996.
Amini wrote the adapted screenplay for The Wings of the Dove, which was based on the 1902 eponymous novel by Henry James. The film, directed by Iain Softley, was released in 1997 and received critical claim. Amini was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay.
In September 2013, Amini delivered a screenwriting lecture as part of the BAFTA and BFI Screenwriters' Lecture Series.
His feature directorial debut, The Two Faces of January (2014), is an adaptation of a Patricia Highsmith novel that he also adapted into a screenplay. The film also stars Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst and Oscar Isaac.
- The Dying of the Light (1994) – screenwriter
- Deep Secrets (1996) – screenwriter
- Jude (1996) – screenwriter
- The Wings of the Dove (1997) – screenwriter
- The Four Feathers (2002) – screenwriter
- Killshot (2009) – screenwriter
- Shanghai (2010) – screenwriter
- Drive (2011) – screenwriter
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) – screenwriter
- 47 Ronin (2013) – screenwriter
- The Two Faces of January (2014) – director, screenwriter
- Our Kind of Traitor (2015) - screenwriter
- Aftab, Kaleem (September 15, 2011). "Hossein Amini: how I coped with adapting the book Drive for Hollywood". The National. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Kosminsky, Peter (1956-)". Screenonline. British Film Institute. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- "Television Nominations 1994". British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Jackson, Andrew (December 6, 1995). "A Wessex tale of Auld Reekie". The Independent.
- Mars–Jones, Adam (October 3, 1996). "Hardier than the rest: Jude". The Independent.
- Dyja, Eddie (1998). BFI Film and Television Handbook 1997. British Film Institute. p. 342. ISBN 978-0-85170-637-5.
- Denerstein, Robert (October 23, 1997). "Director a sucker for James' complexity". Rocky Mountain News.
- "The Official Academy Awards® Database". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- "Hossein Amini Delivers his BAFTA Screenwriters' Lecture". BAFTA. September 25, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2013.