Hossein Baghernejad (born 1 June, 1942 in Tehran, Iran) is a German scientist, civil engineer, and architect of Iranian descent. He was the first Iranian immigrant to hold a professorship in civil engineering at a German university.
Life and achievements
Hossein Baghernejad is the son of Ghassem Baghernejad, who was a distinguished builder in Iran. Baghernejad emigrated to Germany in 1963 and was a student at the Technical University of Darmstadt, where he earned a doctoral degree in civil engineering. While at Darmstadt, he worked as an assistant under the leading researchers of the day: Otto Jungbluth and Wolfhart Uhlmann. In 1979 Baghernejad became an inspection engineer for the German federal state of Hessen; he held the post until 1990 when he founded an engineering company in Darmstadt. The Chamber of Architects in the state of Hessen licensed Baghernejad as a regular architect due to his achievements as an engineer.
Since 1991 Baghernejad has also been a lecturer at the Fachhochschule Darmstadt (Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences) in the field of civil engineering and the theory of plasticity (physics). In the late 1990s Baghernejad was promoted to the rank of a professor by the Hessen Minister of Science due to his "outstanding achievements regarding the implementation of scientific discoveries into practical use".
- Saeid Khaghani: Islamic Architecture in Iran: Poststructural Theory and the Architectural History of Iranian Mosques. Tauris, 2012.
- Hossein Baghernejad: Beitrag zum Traglastverfahren unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der konstruktiven Durchbildung und verschiedener Baustähle am Beispiel des Rahmenträgers. Darmstadt, 1976.
- Webseite der TU Darmstadt. Retrieved 5 June 2013
- Information on the university's website (in German). Retrieved Dec 20, 2014 
- Regelungen zur Verleihung der akademischen Bezeichnungen "Außerplanmäßige(r) Professorin/Professor" und "Honorarprofessorin/Honorarprofessor" gemäß Paragraph 72, Absatz 1 Hessisches Hochschulgesetz.   Retrieved 5 June 2013
- Website of "Hochschule Darmstadt"  Retrieved 5 June 2013
- (Article) "Querschnitt. Beiträge aus Forschung und Entwicklung der Fachhochschule Darmstadt" - University of Applied Sciences. Report #17. Retrieved 5 June 2013