|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
|Industry||Education, Media, Online Advertising|
|Founder(s)||Edward Fields, CEO|
|Headquarters||Campbell, California, US|
HotChalk is an education technology company founded in 2004. Its media group comprises education-focused websites and helps advertisers reach a targeted audience. Its LessonPlansPage.com web site contains lesson plans that were written and contributed by the users of the site.
Edward M. Fields is founder, chairman and CEO. Before establishing HotChalk, Fields was founder and CEO of ProductFactory.
The HotChalk Media Group (formally HotChalk Network) comprises approximately 80 web sites. The Hot Chalk Media Group, composed of approximately 80 sites, reaches more than 25 million unique visitors per month (as of Nov. 2012), and serves approximately 201 million pageviews per month. The HotChalk Media Group also has high engagement with women. This significant market spends more time on the HotChalk Media Network than competitor sites, with a total of 225 million minutes spent, and an average of 3.4 minutes spent per visit. The HotChalk Media Group growth rate has also been in the top 10 of all Internet properties 5 times since 2007.
Products and services
HotChalk's Learning Management System lets teachers automate classroom tasks including assignments, homework and grading. Teachers are able to communicate daily progress and assignment status to students and parents via a secure login and email, and access lesson plans and Web-based teaching materials.
HotChalk's MyLibrary is a digital distribution system where schools and school districts can create and manage a custom repository of free, licensed and proprietary digital content delivered electronically to teachers, students and parents. MyLibrary also includes curriculum and content management capabilities where school and school districts can create, enhance and perform curriculum mapping correlated to state educational standards.
HotChalk covers subjects, including Math, Science, Music, Language Arts, Technology and Internet, Social Studies, Art and Physical Education. Partners include Dosity (WGBH-TV), Globe Trekker, Mathematica, National Geographic, Scholastic, and Teachers Domain.
HotChalk was named 2008 Codie Award finalist for "Best Education Solution" and won a 2007 Technology & Learning Award of Excellence for "Teacher Resources." HotChalk was awarded "Best in Class" in Education Innovation Network by Skysong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center.
- Mitra, Sramana (May 23, 2008). "A Technological Fix For Education". Forbes. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- The More We Know: NBC News, Educational Innovation, and Learning from Failure - Klopfer, Eric, Haas, Jason. pp. 79-84.
- Entrepreneur Journeys - Sramana Mitra. pp. 173-177+ (Google Books preview)
- Redefining Tech Support. Education Week, Retrieved on 2008-07-21
- Official website
- HotChalk Takes Learning to the Extreme Press release. September 24, 2008
- HotChalk and Adify. "HotChalk Network, 2nd Fastest Growing Online Property, Unveils Vertical Ad Network Powered by Adify". Press release. Retrieved on 2008-7-21.
- Testing rules prompt new science products. eSchool News, Retrieved on 2008-07-21
- Education & Technology: Now Is the Time. SramanaMitra.com, Retrieved on 2008-07-21