Hot Action Cop
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2015)|
|Hot Action Cop|
Hot Action Cop in St. Petersburg, FL, September, 2011.
From left to right: Juan Chavolla, Rob Werthner, Timmy Flaherty, Kory Knipp
|Genres||Rap rock, alternative rock, funk metal|
|Labels||Red Panda 7
|Associated acts||Ligion, Strike First, Underwater|
|Website||Hot Action Cop|
|Past members||Luis Espaillat
Hot Action Cop is an American rock band, currently based in Nashville. Rob Werthner (singer/songwriter/guitarist) formed the band in 2001 with bassist Luis Espaillat, drummer Kory Knipp and Louisville, KY guitarist Tim Flaherty, and added keyboardist Daniel Feese prior to the 2002–2003 tour. They are well known for their hit single "Fever for The Flava".
Nutbag EP and Hot Action Cop (2001–2003)
The band's name came from the nickname that Werthner and his friends gave his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend in the 1990s. He was an NYPD officer with a 1970s parted and feathered hairstyle. When they saw him they'd say, "here comes the hot action cop." Long Island, NY native Werthner cites musical influences including Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More, Limp Bizkit, New York hardcore, Southern hip-hop, punk, metal, reggae, and songwriters like Billy Joel.
Their first release, Nutbag EP was recorded in 2001 and released in 2002, and was only available to purchase at live shows or direct order from the band. The band released their debut album Hot Action Cop on Lava/Atlantic Records in 2003. They achieved moderate success with the single "Fever for the Flava" despite no radio support. The band toured extensively from October 2002 to December 2003 throughout the U.S., Canada, Germany, and England supporting bands such as Evanescence and Trapt, and including a spot on the northwest leg of the Lollapalooza tour in 2003.
Hot Action Cop released a 6-song EP in 2009 with Werthner, Flaherty, Espaillat, Feese, and Miles McPherson (now with Kelly Clarkson) on drums.
New single and Listen Up! (2014)
On May 1, 2012, the band released a cover of the Pink Floyd song "Comfortably Numb" on iTunes and Amazon featuring the original line-up of Werthner, Flaherty, Espaillat, and Knipp.
Flaherty recently formed a new project, Underwater, with other Louisville, KY, area musicians. Chavolla and Greer are currently on tour with their new band Strike First.
Announced on the band's Facebook page, a new album called Listen Up! was released February 7, 2014, on hotactioncop.com. One single has been released, "House Of Pain". It has been used in promos for House of DVF on the E! Network.
- Rob Werthner – vocals, rhythm guitar (2001–present)
- Tim Flaherty – lead guitar, backing vocals (2001–present)
- Juan Chavolla – bass (2008–present)
- Kory Knipp – drums (2001–2003, 2007, 2011–present)
- Brian Smith - keys, vocals, guitar (2012–present)
- Luis Espaillat – bass (2001–2006, 2012 [recording])
- Daniel Feese – keyboards (2002–2007)
- Miles McPherson – drums (2004–2006)
- Gary Horrie – drums (2007)
- Johnannes Greer – drums (2008–2011)
- Nutbag EP (1 January 2002)
- Hot Action Cop (4 May 2003)
- 2009 EP (20 April 2009)
- Listen Up! (7 February 2014)
- "Fever for the Flava" (19 May 2003)
- "Don't Want Her To Stay" (3 June 2003)
- "Comfortably Numb" (1 May 2012)
- "House of Pain" (17 September 2014)
Soundtracks, film and video game appearances
"Fever for the Flava" was featured in many movies, and also appeared in episodes of the shows King of the Hill, Malcolm in the Middle, Smallville, Boston Legal, and The Man Show. Werthner also wrote the theme song for the Samuel L. Jackson/Colin Farrell film S.W.A.T.. Alternate clean versions of "Fever for the Flava" and the album version of "Goin' Down On It" as well with instrumental versions of both of those songs appeared on the EA video game Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. It was also voted No. 49 on MuchMusic's (later called Fuse) list of the 50 Most Controversial Videos.
- The Hot Chick ("Fever For The Flava")
- Grind ("Goin' Down On It" & "Fever For The Flava")
- S.W.A.T. ("Samuel Jackson")
- American Wedding ("Fever For The Flava")
- The Real Cancun ("Fever For The Flava")
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 ("Goin' Down On It", "Fever For The Flava")*
- Project Gotham Racing 2 ("Don't Want Her to Stay")*
- House of DVF ("House Of Pain")
- * Music with alternative version.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hot Action Cop.|
- Hot Action Cop on Facebook
- Hot Action Cop on Myspace
- Hot Action Cop at AllMusic
- Hot Action Cop at the Internet Movie Database