Hot Hot Hot (Arrow song)
|"Hot Hot Hot"|
|Single by Arrow|
|from the album Hot Hot Hot|
|Arrow singles chronology|
|"Hot Hot Hot"|
|Single by Buster Poindexter|
|from the album Buster Poindexter|
|Format||CD single, 7", 12"|
|Buster Poindexter singles chronology|
"Hot Hot Hot" is a song written and first recorded by Montserrat musician Arrow featured on his 1982 studio album, Hot Hot Hot. The song became an instant dance floor hit and was later covered by artists around the world, most notably in 1987 by American singer David Johansen under the name Buster Poindexter. The song was produced by Leston Paul from Trinidad and Tobago.
The song was Arrow's first chart hit, peaking at No. 59 on the UK Singles Chart. A remix of the song, dubbed as the "World Carnival Mix '94" was later released in 1994 and peaked higher than the original, at No. 38 on the UK Singles Chart.
Buster Poindexter version
The song was later covered in 1987 by David Johansen in his Buster Poindexter persona and released as the first single from his album Buster Poindexter. It garnered extensive airplay through radio, MTV, and other television appearances. The music video is unique in the fact that it crosses the two identities: Despite being in the Buster Poindexter persona, the video begins with Johansen briefly mentioning his role in the New York Dolls, showing the band's vinyl and tossing them aside while talking about the "really outrageous clothes" he wore and how he evolved into a "refined and dignified kind of a situation", which leads into the song.
In an interview on National Public Radio, Johansen called the tune "the bane of my existence," owing to its pervasive popularity as a karaoke and wedding song. The Johansen version of the song has long served as the opening theme for Jimmy Buffett's concert appearances.
In the extended mix, Buster Poindexter says the word "hot" 137 times.
Other cover versions
The song was covered in 1985 by Indian duo Babla & Kanchan recorded as "Kuchh Gadbad Hai" in Hindi. It was also later covered by popular Latin teen group Menudo. In 1986 it was covered by the Central American Grupo Rana as "Caliente Caliente" (credited to Alfonso Cassell, Arrow's official name) in their record De La Cabeza A Los Pies Rana Otra Vez!!
In 2010, the track was sampled by British electro DJ Hervé in his track "Hot! Drum Attack".
In 2013, reggaeton artist Don Omar released a cover titled, "Feeling Hot" for his upcoming live album Hecho en Puerto Rico. His version peaked at No. 22 on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs chart in the United States. Omar's cover led to Arrow posthumously winning the ASCAP Latin Award on the Urban category.
Also in 2013, the track was re-interpreted/covered by Dutch eurodance group Vengaboys in their track of the same name. This cover adds a dutch house sounding drop, a reggaeton style rap and extra lyrics.
|UK Singles Chart||59|
|Chart (1994) 1||Peak
|UK Singles Chart||38|
- 1 - Denotes chart position of 1994 "World Carnival Mix '94" version.
Buster Poindexter version
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||45|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||11|
In popular culture
Movies and television
- 1988: Casual Sex? ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 1990s: Toyota television commercials ‒ song lyrics changed from "feeling hot hot hot" to "Toyota's hot hot hot"
- 1991-1993: Topa Tudo Por Dinheiro ‒ Brazilian television series
- 1991-1994: Programa Silvio Santos ‒ Brazilian television series
- 1999: My Favorite Martian ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 1999: HOT (Holidays On Two) ‒ British television series
- 1999: H-E Double Hockey Sticks ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 2000: The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 2001: Family Guy ("The Thin White Line" episode) ‒ American animated television series
- 2002: Futurama ("Crimes of the Hot" episode) ‒ American animated television series
- 2002: Bend It Like Beckham (Bina Mistry version) ‒ British-German movie soundtrack
- 2006: Top Gear Winter Olympics (special edition) ‒ British television series
- 2007: The Office ("Back from Vacation" episode) ‒ American television series
- 2008–present: Programa Silvio Santos ‒ Brazilian television series
- 2008: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 2008: Beverly Hills Chihuahua ‒ American movie soundtrack
- 2009: Ugly Betty (Buster Poindexter version) ‒ American movie soundtrack
- Don Omar lanza su nuevo sencillo 'Feelling hot' de su nuevo álbum 'Hecho en Puerto Rico' NTN
- Don Omar - Chart history: Hot Latin Songs Billboard
- "22nd Annual El Premio ASCAP 2014". ASCAP Latin Awards (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers). 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Vengaboys - Hot Hot Hot". YouTube. July 25, 2013. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Chartstats - Arrow
- allmusi ((( Buster Poindexter > Charts & Awards < Billboard Singles )))
- Laing, Dave. "Arrow obituary". The Guardian, September 16, 2010. Retrieved on July 14, 2013.
- Funk, Ray (1998). Kaiso No 15 - December 26, 1998