Hot Stuff (Donna Summer song)
|Single by Donna Summer|
|from the album Bad Girls|
|B-side||"Journey to the Centre of Your Heart"
"Heaven Knows" (Brazil)
"Bad Girls" (Japan)
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
|Genre||Disco, rock, funk|
3:51 (7" version)
|Writer(s)||Pete Bellotte, Harold Faltermeyer, Keith Forsey|
|Producer(s)||Giorgio Moroder, Pete Bellotte|
|Donna Summer singles chronology|
"Hot Stuff" is a Platinum-certified, No. 1 hit single released by American singer Donna Summer in 1979 as the first single release from her Bad Girls album through Casablanca Records. Up to that point, Summer had mainly been associated with disco songs but this song also showed significant rock influences including a guitar solo by ex-Doobie Brother and Steely Dan guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. It is one of her most popular songs, based on the performance on the Billboard Hot 100.
Awards and recognition
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2014)|
- In 1979 the Hungarian singer Kati Kovács sang it on Disco Party (Hungaroton Pepita SLPX 17623, Hungary) album. The track was covered in 1995 by DJ Miko, giving the tune a contemporary dance music twist, and later partially covered by The Pussycat Dolls in their 2005 debut album PCD. The verses (which were slightly altered) and the overall sound of the song are from Siobhan Fahey's "Bitter Pill", but with the chorus of Summer's "Hot Stuff" and it was renamed it "Hot Stuff (I Want You Back)".
- In 1996, Filipino singer Regine Velasquez covered the song for her album Retro as a house remix.
- For the build up of the 1998 FA Cup final, Arsenal covered the song, using samples from the original, and replacing some lyrics, with descriptions of the squad, who were to play in the final. Also in 1998 Mietta recorded an Italian language "Hot Stuff (Musica che scoppia)" for her album La mia anima.
- Pop star EliZe released a cover in September 2008 which was a hit on the Dutch charts.
- The track was also performed by artist Just Kait for MTV's made for TV movie Turn the Beat Around.
- In 2013 singer China Moses released a Jazz cover on her album "Crazy Blues".
- A Cantonese language cover of "Hot Stuff" was performed by the Hong Kong pop singer, Alan Tam. (Cantonese song name : 爱的热力).
- A Chinese language cover of "Hot Stuff" was performed by the Taiwan pop singer, Yuki Hsu. (Chinese song name : Bad Girl).
Appearances in other media
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
- The song was memorably featured in the popular 1997 film The Full Monty. During a press event on his 50th birthday, Charles, Prince of Wales helped recreate the scene in which the four main characters overhear the song while waiting in line at the unemployment office.
- The song is also featured prominently in an episode of the British mystery television series Jonathan Creek in the episode "Angel Hair", where it is sung by Caroline Carver who plays pop star Sally Ellen Oakley. It also forms a part of the soundtrack of the movie Eurotrip.
- Steve Allen did a "poetic" reading of "Hot Stuff" on one of his 1980 television shows, along the lines of his "poetic" readings of rock and roll songs he had done in the 1950s. At one point, Allen solemnly intoned, "Hot, hot, hot . . . stuff, stuff, stuff."
- In 1981, it was adapted to a TV commercial in Australia advertising the Four'N Twenty Pie.
- It was referenced and quoted in Rabbit Is Rich by John Updike.
- This song was used by several popular professional wrestlers, including "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, Randy Savage, and Scott and Rick Steiners.
- The song appears on the video game Karaoke Revolution Volume 2.
- In an episode of Married With Children the song is featured in which Marcy is singing the song as she prepares for a romantic night with her husband.
- In an episode of Sex and the City the song is featured in which Carrie Bradshaw is a guest celebrity judge on Staten Island for the New York City Fire Department's "Calendar Contest". "Bad Girls" is then played as the female characters dance afterwards.
- This song was featured on The Facts of Life Season 6, Episode 5 called "Cruisin'". The episode premiered on Wednesday, Halloween of 1984 on NBC and the song played at the beginning of the episode for eight seconds.
- The song was performed by Roselyn Sánchez for the 2003 TV special The Disco Ball.
- The song was performed by Glaiza de Castro for the GMA's 60th anniversary special GMA @ 60: The Heart of Television.
- Allison Iraheta sang this song on the eight season of American Idol during "Disco Week".
- The song was featured in the stage musical, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
- This song appears in the dance game Dance Central 2.
- Donna Summer reappears on Top of the Pops with new song hot metal the group name in the romantic comedy film, The Full Monty. The song also appears on its soundtrack.
- The song appears in Just Dance 2, Katy Perry who is in the game as well played this song with Rebecca Black in her video "Last Friday Night".
"Hot Stuff" was certified Platinum by the RIAA and remained at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for three non-consecutive weeks. The song also topped the US Hot Dance Club Play chart, with Summer's follow-up "Bad Girls" as a double A-side. The popular 12" single edition of the song plays the full 6:47 version of the song and then segues into "Bad Girls" 4:55 version.
"Reunited" by Peaches & Herb
"Love You Inside Out" by Bee Gees
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single
June 2, 1979 (first run)
June 16 – 23, 1979 (second run)
"Love You Inside Out" by Bee Gees
"Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward
"Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single (with "Bad Girls")
May 26, 1979 – July 7, 1979
"Born to Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez
- Tim Sendra. "Top Hits of the Seventies: Mega Hits review on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 8, 2013. "to the throbbing disco of Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff," this collection is a fine way to remember the '70s."
- Steve Huey. "Donna Summer discography on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 8, 2013. "Her 1979 double-LP Bad Girls featured more of her songwriting contributions than ever, and went straight to number one, as did the lusty singles "Bad Girls" and the rock-oriented "Hot Stuff,""
- Jillian Mapes (May 17, 2012). "R.I.P. Donna Summer: Eight Essential Songs From The Queen Of Disco". WCBSFM.com. Retrieved July 8, 2013. "Even before the spacey synth on "Hot Stuff" picks up, it's not hard to identify the song, thanks to its rock guitar riff and toe-tapping beat."
- Donna Summer's Top 20 Billboard Hot 100 Hits
- "The Full Monarchy". BBC News Online. November 13, 1998. Retrieved April 14, 2008.
- "Australia n°1 Hits – 70's". Worldcharts.co.uk. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- "Donna Summer – Hot Stuff – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Hot stuff in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Hot stuff in French Chart" (in French). Dominic DURAND / InfoDisc. July 4, 2013. Retrieved July 4, 2013. You have to use the index at the top of the page and search "Donna Summer"
- "Donna Summer - Hot Stuff". Charts.de. Media Control.
- "Hot stuff in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved May 30, 2013. 4th result when searching "Hot stuff"
- "The best-selling singles of 1979 in Italy". HitParadeItalia (it). Retrieved May 30, 2013.
24. Hot stuff – Donna Summer [#2]
- Danyel Smith, ed. (1979). Billboard 11 august 1979. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Donna Summer search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff". Singles Top 60.
- "Donna Summer – Hot Stuff – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "1979 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive – 2nd June 1979". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Bad Girls awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Donna Summer – Hot Stuff" (in French). Les classement single.